Big trouble with Driveway.....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LynnHamm, Dec 30, 2005.

1. LynnHamm

LynnHamm LawnSite Member

We have recently moved into a home in Shallotte, NC (near Wilmington). The previous owners only inhabited the home for 2 months a year and our driveway is a mess from our vehicles. It is about 40' long by 15' wide and, as most of the driveways here, it was just a path in the lawn over topsoil. However, with the frequent traffic (2 vehicles about 4 times a day) and excessively wet summer/ fall our vehicles have torn up the grass and it's now a big mud pit- we cannot even use it, we park on the road.

We are going to have someone come look at it and give us an estimate but my hubby and I are hard workers and wouldn't mind tackling it ourselves if possible....

The advice I've been given is to lay down #5 gravel first, then cover with #2... Any ideas? I cannot even imagine the cost if we have to have this done professionally....Or should we just concider it an investment? Help?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

forget the #5 stone if it is washed gravel. You need something that will bond together. Crusher run is the common for road beds. It contains stone and stone dust and will pack together to form a solid bed. As for you doing this yourself. All the gravel hualers I know will spread the stone as they are dumping. It wont be perfectly smooth but depending on the truck driver, you should be able to drive over it after it is spread. If you need it smoother and will be doing so by hand, dont drive on it first, it will pack hard with just one vehicle driving over it. If its to much for you to rake by hand, then get the local handy man to recommend someone with a small farm tractor and scrape blade to smooth it up for you. Most rock quarries have dump truck drivers to hual the stone for you. Just give your local quarry a call and they should hook you up. Just for info, 15tons of crusher run around here is about $200 delivered and spread. some places are cheaper and others higher. A lot depends on how close the quarry is to your site.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

As Muddstopper recommended, but first remove all the top soil. Road base will pack over time and be almost as good as blacktop. I added a 15'x100' section on my driveway back in October using this method.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mudstopper has it it with the road base suggestion. Sometimes know as crush & run, 3/4" minus, recycled concrete or asphalt millings. Check with your local suppliers for their recommendation. Best to remove about 8"-12" of soil, below the existing driveway level. Fill with the local road base material and compact to within about 2"-3" of the current driveway level and top with a nice decorative driveway stone. A 3/8" or 3/4" driveway stone will create a nice look and the base material will keep it from sinking and disappearing over time. You can just spread the material out and drive over it for compaction, but you will still get settlement. If you can spread material and use a powered compactor, the base will be tighter and more even with less chance of settling. When I spec this type of drive, I usually recommend leaving the finish stone off till the spring to allow the base to become firmly compacted before adding the decorative layer. You can use road base for the entire project, but a decorative stone layer on top will give your project a finished look.

Kirk

5. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

I agree with the above posts. This will compact to give you the best results for long term use. I would say make certain to use the clean rock over the base. The base rock will stay "dirty" all wet season.

Shawn

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Take the top soil off and fill in with crushed concrete, best way to overcome the problem. we had to do it this fall.:waving:

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

that is wrong above, you will loose your investment right into the mud..
    Do as mudstopper advises he should know he's muddstopper is he not?
    We call it roadbase here.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

what??? crushed concrete??? we sure didn't and it was on clay.

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Did my own driveway with washout as base material.
    It's the stuff that gets washed out of the concrete trucks at the end of a run.
    It's costs a $5 tip to the loader operator for any size trailer.
    Some big chunks; but if you are building a 6" base, everything levels out as long as you don't try to spread it thin.

I was advised to topcoat it with something, or it would be incredibly dusty.

10. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

1st thing...how big of a driveway is it?