Big trucks= cheaper

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by teejet, Feb 18, 2011.

1. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I can get an F700 1995 with 12 ft flatbed 429 engine automatic 50K miles for $3700.
    Add a hoist kit and it also dumps.
    Now I know it will probably average 8 mpg, not good if alot of miles per yr.

Now, I just can't find any 1 tons that are as solid of a truck for even 3 times that price.

What are the cons of these large trucks,(using for landscaping)

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I set up a Kodiak 33,000gvw with a 13' contractors body and don't like it compared to the 450/550 size trucks. To me it's too big, but you are right the bigger trucks seem to cost much less.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

People like 1 tons cuz they will be under CDL requirements based on gvw. I would guess that explains the demand for 1 tons, and thus, the price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

8 mpg?? Guess again. That motor might get 8 mpg in an F350. In an F700 I would guess 5-6 mpg empty and 3-5 mpg loaded. That is pretty much the con of using that truck. They have extremely low gearing which will pull your load, but it comes at the price of mpg.

5. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Big Trucks = Big Bucks

A formula you should always remember.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

regular trucks are much more versatile, more demand, more money. Big trucks are definately cheaper. more to fix sometimes though

7. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Just when you think you got a great deal on a cheap Ford/International/Isuzu/Mitsu etc, you will go to get parts for said truck, and realize what you got into. If you don't need a "big" truck, don't buy one.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

A friend of mine bought a 650 or 750 ford. He likes it, got a great deal on it, low miles, put a dump kit on and life was good.

Now that he has had the truck for 2 years with light use, the dollars are adding up to where he is thinking of going back to a 350-550 truck and maybe pull trailer or different combo.

I think if you need it daily or close to daily use there great but its starting to cost my buddy some money.

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

For me when I set up the Kodaik I wasn't really thinking of the future need just a little bigger than the 550 size and I should have just got a tandem/tri axle dump. My 550 weights just under 10,000 pounds but can carry 20,000 so you have 5 ton capacity, the Kodiak can carry 8 tons. I find many places you can't fit the bigger trucks in being taller and longer where the 550 size will back right in and people don't complain about going over the driveway. It is also maybe easier to find drivers for 550 size trucks? They each have their place but it is hard to sell the bigger truck it seems.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Big trucks =
    big tire cost
    big repair costs
    big insurance costs
    big annual license/registration fees
    very small MPG
    I have "been there/done that".
    Not the way to go, unless you just have to have the hauling capacity they provide on a regular basis.