Big walk behind through small gates!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan McMullen, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

For example,does anyone have a 48 or 52 they get through a 32 or 36 in. gate.If you do how difficult is it? I am going to buy a wlk-behind and I am trying to determine what to get.

THANKS BRYAN!

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both 36" and 48" wb's. The 48" gets used as my primary mower and the 36" is used only as a backup. I don't do any gated yards except for my own so for me a 36" was kind of a waste. The main reason I bought it was I got a decent deal on it and I needed a good reliable back up mower and it was in new cond with very low hrs. I am thinking of trading it in on possibly a Z. I wouldn't personally buy anything again smaller than a 48" and pass on the gated properties. Whatever you decide on spend the extra money and go hydro, you will not be sorry. Just my opnion.

3. Bryan McMullen

Bryan McMullen LawnSite Member

TJLC thanks for the input.I deffinately agree with you on the hydro from what I hear.Im also thinking the same also on the gates.

4. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

Why not buy a good 21" and a small 2 stroke or hover for banks and charge good money for the jobs other contractors turn away.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

***Please learn to post about the topic at hand or don't post at all.*** Ray

6. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Just curious....is anyone mowing with the Great Dane 52" wb with the fold up deck that allows easy entry in gates? Seems like a great idea, but does it cut well?

7. Spanky

Spanky LawnSite Member

Bryan,
    You might want to look at a Great Dane Metro( I think this is what it is called). IT has a flip up deck, that will give you the ok to get through a 36" gate, wehn U R through, flip the deck down and you have a 52" w/b. You can also cut with the deck up and the blade is disengaged. I have no experience with the Great Dane models, but is an option.
    -Spanky

8. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

WHATS THAT GOT TO DO WITH MOWING LAWNS:confused:

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

This how we get a larger deck thru a smaller gate.

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

***Please learn to post about the topic at hand or don't post at all.*** Ray