1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Oct 13, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Compare the quality between a 52" WB and a 52" rider. Do people buy them only because there cheaper the riders? does it get tireing standing up on them?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think the price is the main contributor. But I don't they consider the number of accounts that could be done w/ a rider.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i use mine on very steep hills and on yards with very demanding owners, the wb tend to give a great cut and tear up the turf much less. not a cost thing for me at all.
  4. stevenf

I was planning on purchaseing a 48-50" commercial rider and started thinking that I could save so much money on a belt drive 48". what is it that people dont like about the belt drive? with a 48", would you get fixed or floating deck?
    Do riders really complete the job that much faster? Ive heard so many people saying that you cant cut at the full 10mph on a rider, So wouldnt the 7mph WB be the same productivity?
  5. stevenf

any opinions on whether I should get a 48" WB or just pay the extra for a 48" rider?
  6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

when you are pushing that belt drive up the hill and pulling it as hard as you can for reverse and cant keep your lines strait because the belts are slipping you will wish you got a hydro.
  7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Got my WB for the hills. Too many free rides with the ZTR. We mow 4 lawns on a road called 'Hillside Drive' if that tells you anything.
  8. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing i regret about my 36" metro is the belt drive. If i could do it over i'ld pay the extra grand for a hydro drive. Usually have to get off the sulky to climb hills and risk tearing up the turf/flying like crasy because all you have is the brakes, which tend to either be off or locked up (not much room in between). Put a bagger on the side and you constantly have to work the levers to keep it going streight.
  9. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I have a Scag WB 36, belt drive. I have no problems with it pulling me around on a sulky. Although it does not like to back up. I was told that if you wanted anything bigger than a 36" deck go with a hydro.
  10. herb900

herb900 LawnSite Member

In my experience, on some of the smaller lawns the difference in time between a ztr and comparable size WB is negligible. I see alot less tearing of the grass in wet conditions and in situations when the owner's grass in thinner. I could buy about 10 WB's for the price I paid for my ZTR. Plus, servicing it it alot cheaper.

That being said, theres something to be said about sitting down on an ZTR compared to wrestling my Belt-driven WB. Without a hydro and it's reverse, your going either being doing alot of physically pulling back the machine, or alot of shifting to get into reverse and then back again. You also have to worry about the machine getting away from you and doing damage with it. I've got a one-wheel sulky and if the terrain is bumpy, you get jockeyed around alot, which can also throw you off a straight line.

Also, consider a free-floating deck. I"ve noticed It is a ton easier to scalp with a fixed deck, especially a walk behind. So you have to be that more careful.

I would say my productivity at a overall pace has increased by 30% when I switched to ZTR. I like to keep the WB for a back up, to do more rough cutting, and for steep hills.