BIG walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys out there using the 60 inch turf tracers are they easy to get around with? Is the weight of these mowers a problem? Pros -Cons?

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I know John runs a big turf tracer (52 or 60) so maybe he can help you out here. The machines weigh less than a rider so you have less of a rutting issue.

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I have one 52 walk and its works the same as my 48 , strange you ask this as i was talking via email today to a company south of here that run 72" scag walks he has 3 of them and they are older but he has remotored them ect and he says he has one brand new 72" deck that has never been used ( just the deck ) Scag discont. these years ago he likes them alot and they work well for him and his company . I worked years ago for Mainscape out of indianapolis ( Not sure there rank but one of largest firms in the country) and at that time they ran 72" walks ( scag ) now that is one big honking walkbehind !!!

4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

That guy i was talking to told me he will be running 72" walks for a long time to come

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, those are very large walk-behinds! I would think they would be clumsy, but I don't own one and have never used one.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

In most cases the TT60 is faster then the rider and cost less to buy. You can hold more bagged grass and leaves then the rider too, All you need is the accelerator bagger and Jrcos transporter & tub.
    They also cost less to trailer and trim better. they turn faster and rut allot less then the rider to.

7. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What do the tt60'' run for cost, John? We have two tthp48'', looking to a big walk soon.Merry Christmas.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All we run are 61" Ferris WB's...we have no probelms.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

In the area of 6500. the 07's only have the 23 kaw and still have the Ultracut deck.

If you take a rider out you will see a big difference in the speed that you can turn. Try and turn fast with the rider and post a pic of the results.

10. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60TT which works great. I would strongly suggest getting a velke, since you will be able to go faster that way than walking. I do run a 72 rider if at all possible, but when they won't fit the job or are being used by others the 60TT works fine. As far as handling them, it is no harder for me than my 48TT in the majority of cases. I am not that big either ~155lbs.