Big Walker Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rodney Johns, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Has anyone through a dealer or otherwise seen this new 76" Walker deck. I am anxious to hear how it cuts, and performs. I have been concerned because my understanding is that it has four gearboxes and is pretty heavy. I think it will be available everywhere this coming year I just want to know if anyone has been around one of these first ones out.
    If you have bring me up to speed. Is it loud, cut quality, etc?

2. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Rodney,
    The new size of the Walker deck is 74". I saw a picture of one in the last Walker Talk. It looks to be a MONSTER. I think running a deck that large and heavy on the front of a Walker you will adding alot of pressure on the machine which in turn will be more break downs and repairs. JMO though. I maybe all WET and it won't HURT your machine one bit. Just seems like ALOT of WEIGHT to be sticking out front.

Mowman

3. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Thanks Steve
    You are right about the size......My mistake. I am just really wanting to know if this thing lives up to the talk about it. Looks good for golfcourses maybe. BTW They are fazing out the 54 also.

I am also anxious to see the Walk behinds come out.:blob3:

4. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

Hi Rodney,
    i took your advice and bought a walker....i got a good deal here so i just bought it local,i think it
    will be great for clean ups and dethatching,but as far as mowing fast i will stick to the danes.
    but im glad you talked me into a walker.

Thanks

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know about the walker wide deck, but I bet it center scalps if it is that wide. My ground isn't that level. I like my JD 455's for the inclines and ditches and my chopper for the leveler areas. Can't wait for them to get the new deck I see on their web site going. I will be first in line.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I saw it at expo and it is a monster. Walker now has the largest deck in the industry but the ground speed isn't that great. I don't really see a need for a deck this big for a Walker. I like the GHS system and if I need a big deck I want it to go fast.
    This is from a Walker owner.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Rodney,

I tried one a couple of weeks ago on a 26hp EFI, it's a nice unit.

It's a big S.O.B.....

We had a speed up kit on the mower and the deck kept up in tall fescue with morning dew.

I ordered one, hope to have it in a week or so, i'll bring it down and let you check it out.

the nice thing is the weight and width makes the Walker even more stable on hills.

I don't think it weighed any more than the 62" deck though.

I feel the same about the Walker W/B's can't wait to get one.

scottlawns: Congrats, you'll love your Walker!

MD: it has anti scalp wheels mounted nicely on it, it did fine on the rough ground i used it on. I'm near you, give me a shout it you want to see it.

Dave

8. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

How much for the big deck?

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would like to see Lastec adapt thier articulating deck to fit the Walker. They have one for JD. Its time.

Gene

10. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

:cry: looks like they won't be available till spring......

oh well, it probably wouldn't cut snow well anyway.

Mike
    Supposed to be priced comparable to the 62", we'll see!

Gene
    That would make a nice addition to the Walker, heck put them in the "greens market" hmmmm...........

might have to look into that

Dave