Big Weed Problems

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Johnson, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Johnson

Johnson LawnSite Member

Here is my problem. I took this landscaping job this year, really simple. Edge the beds, weed the beds, trim the shrubs and trees on property and apply 10 yards of mulch. I treated the beds with round-up, cleared the beds of weeds and now (3 weeks later), you can't even tell that I was out there. Another company has the mowing account for this property (friend of mine) and he called me and made me aware of the situatuation. I went out tonight and was totally amazed. Thistles all over the place. It's like the fricken mulch just fertilized them and they're coming back in full force. This is a decent paying job for the hours, $1,500 and I need to get this fixed at no cost to them like....now.

My question is, what is the best route for me to take. Round-up is not getting the job done. Please help.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

How long after you sprayed Roundup before you removed the weeds?

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I would never guarantee weeds won't come back after a mulch/weeding job, especially if thistle is one of the problem weeds. Thistle can be extremely persistent. If the beds needing weeded are severely overgrown, I usually advise the homeowner to keep a bottle of roundup handy and shoot anything that tries to poke back out. I will also try to upsell them on treating the beds with treflan or snapshot, but that still is no guarantee that a severely weedy area won't have some stuff try to pop back out.

4. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

You're going to have to remove the new weeds, either by manually removing them or spraying RoundUp again.

Then, you need to put down a pre-emergant, Treflan or Snapshot. Personally, I would go with the Snapshot just because it works better, longer, and controls more weeds. If you use the Snapshot just becareful on annual plants.

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Did you make the beds this year, like just applied mulch over dirt or were the beds already there? If you started from scratch why didnt you put down a weed barrier fabric? Im guessing that the beds were already there...

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

round up and no I mean Dam it no weed fabris god should strike down the man who invented that crap. Mulch rots on top and weeds grow then it pulls up through the mulch and shows that looks trashy.

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

So Drew, tell us how you really feel about fabric. :)

I agree tho, fabric has no place in landscaped beds.

8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

ok her is what you do when you do the renovation as I call it weed edge trim mulch I include a retreat price where we come back and treat all the weeds in a certain time period depending on weather. Since most won't buy the upsell of snapshot. next year they are gonna get it in the estimate and they are gonna take it!

9. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Sounds like you are going to have to Round up and do some more hand weeding. I wish weed control was as easy as one treatment in the spring. We usually apply a preemergent on beds in the spring and spot spray with Round up every couple of weeks throughout the summer to keep on top of weeds. That way, they do not get out of hand.

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Apply RoundUp again. If you mulched immediately after your previous RoundUp attempt, the dust/dirt in the mulch probably neutralized the spray.....

Removing the weeds right after they were sprayed would not have allowed the RoundUp to work, either.