big yellow dog?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Jan 9, 2006.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

great dane super surfer II 18hp 48" for $5400 new, good deal? dealer carries both gd and wright and says gd is way more on top of service (from what i've heard they have to be!) and is THE way to go, true? i cant really afford a rider and a wb. can i do it all with a stander? thanks in advance!!!

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I may be wrong here but if I remember correctly gd was owned by deere and either was out of biz or bought out. I have seen quite a few on ebay much cheaper than this and also heard most dealers were trying to unload them. I may be wrong but others on here that know for sure can toss in thier .02 worth. Have you checked ebay? I have heard decent reviews on the wright also.

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

get the highest hp available for that model,

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Dane has been bought out by ACI who makes everide mowers. I own a Great Dane Gateway and the warranty work has always been done right and fast. They are very well made mowers I have had only 2 very minor problems. The only thing I don't like is that they don't stripe well or mow in wet grass very good, but that was the 1st decks the gen 2 is better in every way. I paid $4800 for my 52" gateway new, tell your dealer to call Great Dane and ask if they have any 2 year old models. My mower would have cost like $6,000 if they would not have called, the only downside is you will get a Gen 1 deck.

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member