Bigger 26" tires on non XP/XS Lazers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, May 4, 2005.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone ever consider switching up to 26x12-12 rear tires on their Lazers?

They should physically fit just fine visually. There is no real clearance issues that I'm aware of. They are only 1.9" bigger in diameter (will make mower sit almost 1" taller).

Problem with this would be the front casters....

The front caster arm must be level, and the caster itself must be level vertically as well. If you just raise the rear, the front caster geometry changes, and you no longer get 360 degrees of equal, true, flat rotation.

This leads me to my next question....with a little massaging of the caster fork could one fit 15x6.00-6 tires in the forks. They are 1.5" bigger in diameter (3/4" bigger all around. The center caster shank passes through the caster fork and protrudes through the bottom. Could this be ground off a little to allow the larger tires to spin without interferance?

I took a 3/4" diameter object (highlighter pen for instance) and moved it around the caster tire. The only place it will hit is where the shank protrudes through the fork.

The newer Lazers use a thicker fork material, and I was wondering if there is more or less clearance here.

Of course one could always weld new caster arm ends (bearing cup area) on and raise them about 3/4" higher on the caster arm.

Any thoughts on this?

Pros....
    Faster top speeds
    Smoother ride
    Better flotation
    Higher ground clearance

Cons....
    Harder on hydro's?
    Slightly higher center of gravity.
    Slightly more work/$

Is there anyone out there with an XP/XS and a regular Lazer willing to do a little homework and swap the 26" tires over and report back their findings?

Anyone with a '03 or newer (thicker caster forks) fullsize Lazer wish to do the 3/4" (highlighter marker) clearance test on the new caster forks?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We've got both.............
    I could check the clearance issue for you on the front casters, however I would not recommend this change.
    The Lazer runs with 12 cc pumps versus the Lazer XS running with 21 cc pumps................As well as larger wheel motors on the XS.
    I think you would be abusing the hydros more than I would be willing to do. The hydro system on the XS is a larger capacity system due to the higher weight of the machine, but it is also meant to drive the larger tires for more productivity............

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I see your point, but I really don't think it would abuse them all that much more. I got rid of all my hilly properties....just looking for a tad more speed and a better ride.

I thought the Lazers had 10cc HydroGear pumps?

4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Nup, they're 12 cc,the HP has 10 cc pumps.

If not being used on hills you may be a bit less abusive on the hydros, the hills would be a killer.............

I'm not sure how much more speed you would get..........probably a little but I'm thinking not that much because the pumps have to work harder to drive them.
    It may also cause a bit more pump belt wear.............Dunno..............

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I'm just sitting here thinking.........we have the new no flat tires on the lazer, they came off of a new Lazer at the dealership............I think the whole assembly was replaced with the new bearing set up.....................I've got to take a look if I remember tommorow....................

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The tour on the petty super z has i think 24'' stock tires and they moved up to 26 inchers. I know its all pavment driving but that is still a heck of a lot of miles without any hydro problems yet.

7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Yes, but keep in mind, little stopping and starting in comparison to those miles.

It's the constant stress of starting and stopping that's hard on hydro systems.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No, not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure mine has Hydro Gear BDP-10L pumps (10cc)

I believe somewhere in 2004 they switched to 12cc pumps and also went from 240cc up to 280cc wheel motors.

It's funny all these little changes Exmark tweaks into each model year that you don't really hear much about. It's when you see this that it makes you proud to use such a well engineered product. Then you have DC's which are anti-change and don't change things soon enough.

I guess I'll just keep it the same and look into a new one next season sometime.

9. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

The motors are the 240's..............The XS and the XP have the 280's.

Could be right about the pump change..........Dunno, I know our HP has 10 cc pumps though, and the lazer is rated at higher ground speed by a tad.............maybe just the 1" bigger tires on the Lazer versus the HP?

Don't know what year yours is, maybe it does have the 10 cc pumps....................

Yes, that's one thing I like about Exmark, continuous improvement to stay ahead of an ever competing market............................

Next year............Another Lazer XS, hopefully..........Wow, what a machine.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You have an XS then? Cool, didn't know that! How do you like it? 60 or 72?

The parts manuals say that after serial #527,800 the LC Lazers went to 280cc motors....so I don't know (I found this out by searching through LC Lazer .PDF parts manual files on exmarks site)

Yet, the PN for these 280cc motors is different from the XS wheel motors.