Bigger Better?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mylucky24, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mylucky24

mylucky24 LawnSite Member

I am starting out. Should I get a 48" ferris rider which i can get for 5600 or should i buy a scag 36" rider ( able to fit through fences) for I think about 6300? What should I do!?!?!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What size lots do you cut?

Do you have gates that a 48 will not get.
    36" is a small mower I would get the 44" or 48"
    And I would never buy a 36" Z. A W/B is 1/2 the cost

What about a 54" or 60" Z and a 36 W/B.
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would start out with a 36. You can get thru the gates and it will mow larger accounts just takes more time. At first you will have this time. As things pick up put a bigger deck on the trailer. Think I would be looking at a walk behind for the smaller mower and as things evolve a larger ZTR
  4. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

My neighbor bought one of the Scag 36" riders. He said it is a great machine, but that thing is like ride a bucking bronco. Every little bump was magnified because of the small wheel base. But, like I said that was the only down fall to it. Their faster than a walk behind unless your using a sulkie or velke.
  5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I would get the 48'', then maybe buy a cheap 32'', 36'' w/b
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

your clientele should be what drives your equipment choices. As PM said, what sized lots do you cut? How many of those will have fenced rear yards? Of those that are fenced, what will be the smallest gate and how big will that lawn be in the fenced area. For economics, I can't think of a reason to buy a rider with a 36" deck. For that money, you could buy two walk behinds with sulkies and double your production. If you don't have any clients yet, you are putting the cart before the horse and may become part of the horde of equipment misfitted contractors out there bleeding off their profits with equipment they can't maximize.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Like stated above, get what your properties need or can handle.
  8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

6300.00 for a 36. No way!!! Not unless EVERY yard you do requires you to use that to fit through the back gate.

If you spend that much and limit yourself to that machine, you will probably kick yourself in the butt all year long.

I would get a new 48 z and a used 36 belt drive for the gates.

At least here in tampa that works best. The 48 is not too big for the small yards and not too small for the big ones.

I might use my 36 exmark metro belt drive for 30 mins a week...

In the end, it all depends on what type of yard you service the most, and what you plan on servicing in the future. Dont forget to plan ahead...