1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bigger CC trimmers "lag" in throttle? Redmax 3000 model

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Its brand new basically, i can BARELY get it spinning up without dying out when its cold... i can ONLY start it holding throttle 100% and keep it there to keep it running.
  2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

it just takes some breaking in. I start mine full throttle full choke and leave it at full throttle and just move the choke on and off for a few seconds. Once its warmed up its a beast of a trimmer.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Start er up and let sit for about a minute or too...grab a drink from the truck, make a phone call, whatever....once it warms up the thing kicks some serious a...i mean grass... It seems everyone has this issue. IMHO, its a tradeoff I'm willing to take.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My Echo blower has caught the same bug over time and I work around it the same way. It starts fine... it just won't rev up... wants to choke out. The weather doesn't matter either. Does this in the summer too.

Wish I could get it to adjust out... but it won't.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you're not revving it to 10,000 RPM when it's cold.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It could be that its the cool or cold weather, I think most of the carbs are adjusted or set for warmer temps and more humidity also. Since the temps have been in the 40's here all my 2 cycle equipment is a bit more cold natured
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

All equipment needs some time to warm up and get proper lubrication. The different metals inside your engines all need time to expand/contract before you go hitting 10,000rpms. Do as advised and let them warm up for a few minutes then happy trimming.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

we can blame the epa emmisions standards for this too. cards are set so lean most newer stuff needs a warmup my redmax stratocharged 2600 is the same way
  9. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

Okay....the units need to warm up due to the very lean settings thanks to the CARB and EPA. So fire them up and let them idle for a minute then go to work. This is more prevelant with the new 4 stroke units.
    As far as 2 cycle goes, they start getting lube right when you start them. That is why there is oil in the fuel.
  10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 34cc redmax line trimmer and it says in the manual to let the trimmer warm up for 30 seconds before using it. I too notice in colder weather it takes a lot more effort to keep it running to warm up. Even in the summer it takes about 30 seconds to warm up before it wont lag. The difference is that in the summer once it starts it doesnt try to shut off during the warm up period like it does when it is cold.