Bigger tires on a ZTR = less or more ruts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Nov 14, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Would swapping from say 23.5x12x12 to 24.5x12x12 rut less or more on soggy lawns?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

it's the same width tire so it shouldn't make any more difference. the height of the tire would make it roll further per rotation, but it's irrelevant because you still have the same amount of area to travel regardless of how many times the tire has to turn.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you go to a wider tire,watch out for the decks trimming ability or the tires wider then the deck.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

some areas are so soggy it might not matter what tire you used I have the same issue on some lawns i use a lighter mower in those areas and that is a bummer becouse a trimmer mower takes longer

5. John Gamba

from ct

See if you can demo a 60" turf tracer.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would be hesitant with a different diameter tire, it may be difficult to get the deck level, raked, correctly. Most of the time your better off to stay with what is on it and maybe use a WB or push mower in wetter area's as suggested above. Good luck.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You also increase stress on the hydro system with bigger diameter tires. I did put 2 inch larger tires on my first Dixie and there was a pronounced difference especially when going up hill.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

you could run at a lower psi and gain a larger ground contact area with the larger diameter and retain factory ride height.

9. John Gamba

from ct

That could be a recipe for turf tare city.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We are only talking like 1/4-1/2 inch of sidewall width going up one inch in diameter. My thoughts were to go down to around psi as opposed to the 12-15 olot of folks run. We run Four 60inch Z's with 24x12x12 tires at 10psi as a compromise for ride quality.

I agree John, that running nearly flat tears more turf in the turns.(It feels like we get at least one low/flat tire per week between the machines and trailers.