Bigger Tubes=Better Blow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Nov 20, 2003.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Ok-i recently came aquired an additional backpack blower. Its a br 400:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2359615461&category=22655&rd=1

to be exact.

Here is my question. On my 420 magnum stihl..it has the bigger pipes like all the others (echo 650). These pipes that dont have the curved elbow and have a larger volume to allow more cfm's to come through which supposedly gives you a "better/stronger blow"

I was wondering if I shoudl get a 420 pipe kit from my dealer and try and fashion it onto this one to attempt to up the blowing capacity.

Thanks for your help!

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You have just addressed a question that I have had for a while now. The Redmax 7001 has 855cfm at the housing, the Echo 750 has 1200cfm at the housing, yet at the tube end the Redmax has more cfm. If someone could rework the Echo with a larger tube, it probably would be one hell of a blower.

3. proenterprises

locust-so does larger tube actually mean more blowing power?:confused:

4. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Guess what kids....I just received the tube kit for my br420c this afternoon. I cut the curve off after 30 seconds. It does improve the speed of the air but reduce the cfm's. I have found that I would rather have the "focused" airflow for clippings. It allows me to blow them further, it turn less effort and walking( err...I really don't walk I ride the stander for blowing) . Also when its wet out I have the ability to budge the stubborn grass without getting right on it. My kit cost $17 so I would say to everyone with a underpowered Sthil pick one up. I will be buying one for my br340
    (hey stop laughing) in hope I will have a use for this thing.

5. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

In my opinion you should use the origional tube with your br400. At certain times you might want a directional tube for moving leaves around plant material or in tight areas. Also it's important to keep the mph up because it helps to get out wet heavy leaves or pine needles. The new blowers use larger tubes because they have enough power to keep the mph up while providing more cfm.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i run my 750T without the last tube all the time now except when i need to dig leaves out of beds. I have nothing to back it up as far as evidence, but i feel it blows better without the last tube.

7. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I do the same thing with my BP blowers mainly because I'm lazy. I hate holding up the tube when I'm walking forward with it. It always sticks in the ground. However, I'm only 5'11" if I was taller I might have to use them all the time.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

all it takes is an inch or two. i'm 6' and it just nicks the ground for me with the last tube

9. proenterprises

LOL guys!

yeah i hate when that last tube drags too. as i see it now.....i think i will just stay with the tubes that are on it now. You are right with maybe it wont be able to handle it with thte engine size and that these tubes might be better for the engine that is on the unit now.

Thanks and Ill let you guys know how my new blower works!

10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It could be that the tubes on the Echo are keeping the blower from reaching it's full potential. Kind of like it's being choked down a little. A tube that was too large would give you fantastic cfm, but at the expense of velocity. Its kind of a balancing act with tube diameter.