Biggest jobs?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What was the biggest job done?

I've installed a handful of condo complexes (4" main, 100+ zones). Lots of fun.

On residential, the biggest job I can recall was about 40 zones. Took 3 guys about a month.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I did a 18' x 58' rectangle once.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the new thread. I've done three 96 zoners, two 48, three 36.
    All Rain Master except two with a Toro "Custom Command".

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

How bouts the $$ part, anyone over $500,000 for a install? Dirty your 4" main and 100+ zones had to been a decent chunk. I will find out this week if I am going to get a monster com job.

5. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a dream; a month on one jobsite.

Biggest question is, though, how'd you make out $$$ ?

6. Mike Leary

Those jobs are not what you may think; lots of head scratching, parts
    delays, sub issues. Plus, they cut into service work.
    I made money, not lots...but I love megas. Some of our dual 48 clock systems
    were under construction for six months or so.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

These weren't MY jobs but I worked on installing them during my first couple years of irrigation working for someone else.

Practice football fields for Air Force Academy. 4-6 fields (don't remember how many) plus surrounding areas. Either a 4" or 6" main. Company owner trenched for it, then pipe arrived and it did not fit in trench. Had to re-trench with back hoes. Some of the trenches were over my head, and the afternoon storms would make them a muddy mess, mud up to knees at times. Have to angle your foot when pulling out or it would pop my hip out.

Installed laterals at new airport around '95 or so. Mainline was installed already and laterals subbed to us. It's been redone three times already. keep redesigning the parking lots and such. I had to install one mainline drain they forgot. I dug down about 5'-6', under the electric for the street lights, head first into hole, arching under electric conduit, had someone holding my feet and pulling me out when done. Nice. Real nice........ :laugh:

8. michigander

michigander LawnSite Member

We've done a couple golf courses. In Indiana and Michigan! In fact I worked on a golf course in Wallingford Connecticut before we ever did a residential system. It was a manual , quick coupler system at the time,1972, but had to be backhoed in because of all the rock and shale.:cool2:

9. Mike Leary

Keeping track of all the wire runs is the most fun when it becomes time to do the
    clocks.

DSCN1006.jpg

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

When I built golf courses the biggest system I supervised was slightly over 200 acres.
    Pump station was 10,000 gpm, sixteen satellites, slightly over 60,000 linear feet of pipe and I can't remember how much wire.
    Fourteen guys did the whole job in two and a half months and if my memory serves me correctly the company charged right at $700K.
    But then again the course cost right at $7M to build.
    The least expensive 18 hole install occurred in the Philippine Islands when I supered that job. The whole thing was literally trenched in by hand.
    Parts, labor and materials cost was around $35K