Biggest Lawn You've Seen Cut With a Push Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Im on a rain break but after talking to my uncle I am wondering what the biggest property you have seen (or cut) with a 21"/22" push mower? He cuts his 1/2 acre with a 21", I keep telling him to get a used 48" WB but he doesnt listen.

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut my one acre lot several times with a 21 push mower, but only because I was waiting for the fall sales to start on mowing equipment.

3. see the picture of my yard in my signature, a few years ago, I had my son cutting it with a 21" push mower, he wasn't doing good in school so I had to get his attention, no sooner than he got done it was almost time to cut it again, and it worked' I got his attention.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen a 5 acre upper scale lawn cut with a 3 man crew team of 5 men each.
    All bagging........zoysia grass. Elaborate shaped beds and a ton of line trimming.

5. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

i went to college at college of the ozarks here in missouri and the campus was cut with primarily push mowers--granted it was crews of 7+ guys at time but still alot of ground to cover with push mowers and weed eaters

6. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

My yard is approx. 2 acres. I had my 13 yr old son cut it several times in the last 8 months with my old Honda HR-215SXA mower. He took several relatively short breaks while cutting, but each time it took him approx. 6 hrs to cut it all (breaks included). It was good for him.... :)

Now it takes 1:15 with my new ZTR...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

3.5 acres while the ZTR was in the shop. (Partial Pic)

I heard a story once that a guy did a 20 acre open field with a 52" Walk-Behind and no sulky. Something like 5-6 days or so. Also heard that they cut the White House with Locke reel mowers. Probably a crew of 20 or something like it.

IMG_0504.jpg

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

My dad had for 40 years (until he passed away) 2.5 acres or so, and after his Jacobsen tractor started having some problems after about 20 years of use, began push mowing it. He did it for a couple years before he decided that he ought to get another rider. He was in his mid to late 60's at the time, and he pushed it as often as the conditions dictated. The land is fairly flat, with some shallow ditches left over from furrows made years before when the property was farmed. It may have been flat, but I can tell you first hand from both more recent times, and riding it as a kid growing up there, that it was rough as heck to ride or walk. It was also wide open, and when the sun was beating down, it was hot. I always marveled that he could do it over and over. I did it for him once or twice, and I can say with authority, that it is a lot of work! He wanted the excercise, and he got it.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Folks in my necks take on acre lots with a 21", not that I'd recommend it
    but 1/2 acre really isn't that much of a challenge, I'm just spoiled.

Now back to the story...
    The fish was THIS >[--------------------]< BIG!

10. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Biggest lawn we ever cut with a 21" is about 1/2 acre backyard. It has two 30" gates, because everyone knows that 30" gates are so popular nowadays.

The pay more than compensates for the trouble on that account.