1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Biggest mower for residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVELAWN, Oct 8, 2005.

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Just curious if anyone uses anything bigger than a 52", for cutting residentials. I have alot of high end ones, and was thinking of getting a 60".....just not sure if its too big....thoughts?
  2. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I run a 61" Yazoo on everything I mow. No problems, except the obvious such as a gate.
  3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

How do you like the yazoo? Have you had it long
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I do mostly residentuals and I have all 60s and wish everyday that I had my 48" back I got rid of. My yards are not all level and the 60 scalps bad compared to the 48 plus I cant get thru the gates I used to get thru. I personally will got back with a 48 next year. You may be ok with a 52 but that is to big for a lot of mine. I have several yards that actually take me 25% longer now with the 60 over the 48.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

We run all 60" decks aside from a little 32" for gates. Around here a 60' is the most versatile
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We are down to only 2 Ferris DD 52" WB's. All our mowers now are either 61's and 72's (Z's and WB's) for residential.
  7. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

We have 60" lazers here but next season I would like to add a 48" for a few smaller properties, and its just might be a Wright Stander. There starting to do it for me more and more!
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I was using a 48" walkbehind, but I'll be getting a 60" z soon. the extra foot doesn't make that big of a difference for me.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's going to also depend on what size your properties are.

If you're in a development with small yards, a 60" is going to be overkill.

If you're in an area where the houses are on 5 acres, and they mow all 5 acres, then absolutely a 60", if not bigger.

A month or so ago, there was a guy posting that he's using a Toro 4100 or something like that, a 60 hp 10.5' deck to mow large estates in Kentucky, or something like that.
  10. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member