Biggest mulch job you ever did?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I was just wondering what the biggest mulch job any of you guys have ever done. The reason I am asking is because we have a guy that needs roughly 60 yards of mulch for all his beds and we are only a 2 man operation. Me (26) and my father (55) and once in a while my friend (28). We are figuring it would take us about 3-4 full days to do it. You guys ever done a mulch job like this? What would be a rough idea of what you would charge?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

The most we've ver done was 54 yards. Anything over 30 and we sub it out to a company that blows it in with an express blower. They knocked the whole job out and cleaned up in I think it was 3 hours.. That stuff flies out at like 1 yard a minute. Very efficient.

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

The largest mulch job I've done on my own was about 22 yards, had it done in about a day and a half. If you have 2 people going at it I would think you'll be able to knock that out in 2 days max depending on how far you need to wheelbarrow the mulch and how open the beds are. When I get the wife helping me we can knock out up to about 3.5 yards/hr. I did a 6 yard job solo on Friday in about 3 hours. As far as pricing, I would charge my per yard price for mulch x 60. payup

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmmmm...........

I've done anywhere from less than a yard to over 200 yards when it comes to mulch jobs.... The 200+ yarder was fun, lemme tell you. Took 7-9 guys a week to do it all, including everything edged BY HAND!

60 yards, right now, we'd probably be looking in the neighborhood of 2 days or so to do it in, if access was good and not a lot of hills to contend with. We might get into a third day for a few hours, but I doubt it would take a full third day unless access was bad or there were hills.

Dan

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Two of us did 50 in 2 days.

Never again, I was useless the next 2 days.

6. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

mulch triple & double ground, red, brown, black cost $ 22/ yd
    express blower $ 19/ yd installed
    i always use express blower......... ~~~ Sell $65 / yd ~~~ $95 /yd

based on 60 yards x 65 installed = 3,900 sell

gross profit ~~~ 1,440 plus you'll need someone to assist

payup :D :cool2: :waving:

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest ones we have are a 230 yarder a 400 yarder and a 360 yarder. It takes 12 guys 3 weeks to do them (including cleanup and edging) The thing that sucks is we have a bark blower, but it is useless on 3/4 of the mulching.

Chris

8. finallyfree

finallyfree LawnSite Member

we did 975 ydrs 2 weeks 8 people 8 hour days, 25 city parking lots and that included spring cleaning :D

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I did 20 bags from Home Depot once. Does that count?

10. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

We just did a 54 yd mulch job and got it done in 1 full ten hour day with 4 guys. I had the mulch brought in and dumped at the apartment complex. We had one guy run a bobcat and 3 guys scooping the mulch out. You wouldn't beleive how easy this was. I made a 1100.00 profit because of the bobcat. The complex had 6 buildings, easiest thing I have ever done.