Biggest object you've hit with a mower you didnt see

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, May 10, 2011.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Manhole cover I seen it today and some how I hit it with the blade
    Always went over top of it.
    So when was done mowing check the blade out and it was up side down
    Thought I could trust the guy to put blades on right but guess I'm going have check treat him like a kid

2. TJSTONE

TJSTONE LawnSite Member

Retaining wall on a steep hillside, mower slid right over it. Wright Sentar wide open in reverse, slid right on over. Not too high, mower didn't turn over and I got it turned before it ran into the deep end of the swimming pool. can't remember how the blades looked, my shorts were still clean.

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Not the biggest but, dog runs are the worst. The lady said nothing was in the grass. I started cutting and two minutes later I hit the dog run cable. I didn't have any tools with me so, I told her I'd bring her porch post back the next day. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I got home with this big post on my trailer. Don't worry It wasn't that big a deal. I used the zero turn to jerk the post off the porch.

4. PROCUTS LAWNCARE

PROCUTS LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Maxfli ball right thru the ladies front bay window! Nice

5. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

i hit a golfball that went directly through the side of a house. plywood and all. it was when they were building the house. Construction workers walked outside and started laughing. it must of caught the blades just right, it was going at least triple the speed of the fastest drive i ever made (golfing.)

6. Woogs

Woogs LawnSite Member

not the biggest, but funniest was a newspaper. I hit it with a 60" ZTR which we had side discharge on at the time. It was like I was in a parade for a second. It took me 15min to rake it out of the customers yard.

7. D&K Lawns

D&K Lawns LawnSite Member

Biggest thing was a momma rabbit and her babies. Grass was thicker at the wet end of a commercial property. I was running faster than I should. Never saw them. Sounded awful. Still bothers me. Yeah, I know, get over it, but it does bother me.

8. bobo316

bobo316 LawnSite Member

hit a compond bow.totally mangled the bow.always a baseball that i cut into.

9. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

I wrapped an 8' piece of 5/8 rebar around by 6' brushhawg blades. Bending it to get it out wasn't the bad part. Bad part is it punctured 3 holes in my rear R4 tires. $75 to mow the lot...$80 to patch the holes and refill it with fluid. Do u call that making money?

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Biggest would have to be a house!