Biggest Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IBGreen, Apr 30, 2003.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

What are you're companies biggest problem areas and how have you overcome or are overcoming them? Mine are efficency and scheduling, I was hoping to hear from some of you guys on how you have became more efficient.

2. IBGreen

I forgot to mention EMPLOYEES!:angry:

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

I do all the repair work for a mid sized landscaper on the side(though it seems full time!)His problems are far and wide.The biggest is a toss up between employees(high school and college) and a total lack of bookkeeping skills:confused: .Customers ask the laborers constantly what they owe and when they will recieve a bill?

I'm gonna follow this thread with you and hopefully get something out of it,wish i could help ya!

4. IBGreen

Its good to know I'm not the only one with problems!

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

There has got to be more than 2 contractors in the greens industry with problems:D come on fellas

6. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

a big problem i overcame is steady income. I have everyone on 12 month contracts now, so come winter that house note will not seem so overwhelming, along with the other bills.

7. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

Hey Grazz, when you put all your clients on yearly billing, how did they take it?? Did you lose any?? We've been wanting to do that just don't know the right way yet!!

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Account Receivables...ours are way too many and even way more too overdue. I keep telling myself each year I have to get tougher on this issue.

Finding the time to return phone calls is another one. For me, going into my office at the end of the day and seeing a "0" on the answering machine is a blessing. But there are usually 5 - 10 that I have to return.

9. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

For me Over Due accounts!!! I have tighten my belt a little this year but I still have to be tougher. Travis

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Bouncer

You definitely have to be on top of your market for your area. Talk to alot of people and see what they are doing. Who don't want to talk about their business?? Make sure you offer just a little more. Brighten it up for the client. We offer free snowplowing for all of our clients. Some say don't worry about it, some want it done.

What is happening is all of the junk accounts are getting filtered out from last year. The non payers, non dog poop, garden hoses, and toy removers, and we are keeping the quality accounts, and of course taking on new ones that are also mid-upper end clients. I am being a lot more choosier, because i can and i know what people are doing in my area from talking to them, and actually seeing the work being done. Its as simple as that. I enjoy driving around a critiquing other work being done.

But to answer your question, most are taking it real well, some are skeptical, many have some questions, but most are signing on. I am a happier guy.