Bike or loop handle on trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hdtvluvr, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a 'U' handle trimmer for the last 10 years. I am wondering if the bike style would be easier to use and less fatiguing. Which do you prefer and why?

2. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

How many guys do you see using the handle bar type?

3. wall

wall LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl fs 110 with bike handles and deluxe shoulder harness I like it for trimming, brush cutting and the tiller attachment. I have to do a lot of trimming along fence lines and ditches and the bike handles are easier on my back the trimmer is balanced in the harness and both of my hands are in front of me guiding the trimmer. The pole saw and hedge trimmer do not work so well though. I have an fs 80 with the loop handle for those attachments. Depends on what your jobs are. Trimming suburban lawns loop handles. Trimming around the farm and fences bike handles work great for me.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

U-handle for brushcutting or cutting down very tall grass.

For "finish" trimming, I can't see any logical reason NOT to use a loop handle. It allows you to angle the trimmer any which way(especially up or down) much easier with more control than a U-handle.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For normal maintenance and grass trimming, the loop handle is the only way to go. It is so much faster and maneuverable. You have the ability to reach out more, and it is also much more efficient for contouring.

6. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Well, here is what I need a trimmer for:
    1. Edge one side of a 50 ft. sidewalk
    2. Edge the patio (approx. 50 ft.)
    3. Trim around the house
    4. Trim beside a retaining wall
    5. Trim around a half-acre pond
    6. Trim both sides of a creek (approx. 500 ft each side)
    7. Some small areas such as around a mailbox, a couple dozen fence posts, 2 utility poles, etc.

Granted, I don't do all of this everytime I mow. The creek is about twice a year. Everything else is every 2nd or 3rd cut.

Which would be better for my needs?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get an Echo D-handle and install it, they're the most comfortable, run you about $20 each.
    I hate those solid handles that transfer all the vibrations to my hands.
    I've been putting Echo D-handles on a variety of my stuff, works great.
    Wouldn't use anything else.

Like so:
    (yes, that's a Stihl with an Echo handle)

dhandle.jpg

8. leevubehind

leevubehind LawnSite Member

I swap handles from my stihl edger to trimmer it is longer lets me stay more flat footed & I don't have to bend over. I also turn the handle that I switched to my edger side ways