Bike or Loop handle?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lahanko, Jun 30, 2003.

1. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Can’t decide on the bike handles or the loop.
    My FS66, 15+ years old, has bike handles and I can honestly say I have never used a loop handle trimmer. I bought the FS66 new and cleared a lot of brush with it but those days are gone, well maybe a little brush every other year or so.
    I suppose I could get the loop and add the bike handles later if I don’t like the loop?
    Purchasing another Stihl this week 55, 80 or 85. Finally letting the old 66 go.
  2. You're going to like the loop handle.

Also the FS85 is the one that accepts accessories.

3. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Weve been using fs 76s, 80s and 85s. Most everyone here likes the loops the best. Last week we bought an FS110. very nice and powerful machine.
  4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

I have one of each. The bike handles work best for cutting in front of you, such as brush. The loop handle works best for trimming around objects, beds & houses. With the loop you can walk normal while holding the trimmer with the cutting head to the side of you while trimming.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

BIGFOOT - has it right
    When I first started doing this stuff I had an old Stihl with 'bike' handles on it (took forever to trim a yard) converted it to a 'loop' system and productivity went up appreciably. Now use Echo stuff in the 26cc range for trimming and shrub work. Nice tools.
  6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

as stated for heavy brush clearing bike are ok.For just trimming around the edges the loop is better .Bikes add a lot of weight to the trimmer to .here a old stil from 88 or 89 with the bikes this thing weights a ton,even for a brute like myself lol

7. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Well I bought the FS85 and used it for about an hour and a half tonight.

After 15 years with the bike handles I must say it is going to take some time getting use to the loop. I can definitely see the power loss in my old 66 compared to this new one.
    I one thing I dislike right off is the string guard. The long end on the left is a pain in the…

Any suggestion other than taking the guard off? I do like the fact that I can use this new one with one hand for short periods of time, I work some pretty rough ground.
  8. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Took the string guard off of my 66, put it on the 85, replaced the Auto-Cut 25 head with a manual feed head. NOW I have a string trimmer.
    Still working on the loop handle. It’s amazing the difference the manual feed string head made, never have used an auto feed that I liked.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

use the loop
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Also ,a bike handle trimmer would be hard to put on the trimmer rack.