bill collection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Boycea, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I am writing my third and final invoice out to a customer who has been ignoring me for the past three months. I plan on handing this over to my lawyer who is also a family friend. The question I have is am I allowed to charge the dead beat customer any charges incurred by me while trying to get my money? Am I allowed to tack on any court costs, lawyer fees, etc. If I tell him before any of those actions are taken?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you are walking a very thin line here. It all depends about the court costs, lawyers fees, etc. If you file a small claims you can include the court costs with it.

I feel that it all depends on the situation though. I would talk to a lawyer though what you can and can not charge them.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How much is owed to you, if you don't mind me asking?

MATT

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Boycea,

Here is a post where you may find a lot of information on this topic.

Customer wont pay

5. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Walker-Talker- the customer owes me $150.00, its not so much the money, but the principle. He screwed over his plow guy who is also a friend of mine, so I really want to get this money so he doesn't think he can screw every service company who works at his house.

Team Gopher- thanks for that link

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how it is in Mass, but here in NJ you can only tack on legal expenses if you have a signed contract stating that the customer is liable for it (attorney fees, legal costs, etc.) in the event of non-payment. BTW, for $150, I personally wouldn't waste my time even though it's a burr in your saddle.

Good luck though on collecting...

7. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Tack everything on. Late fees, interest, collection fees, etc. I charge $29 per month late, 1.5% interest, $100 collection fee. If they don't show, you get it awarded.

8. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Boycea------ If the guy did this to your friend for snowplowing, then why would you take him for mowing ???

Around here me and about 10 companys put together a list each year of "BAD" customers. Ones that don't pay, pay late all the time, complain to much etc. etc etc.

They all go on our do not service list. It works out pretty good and we all get a good laugh @ how many companys they go through each yr.