Bill Goat Debris Loader.....which one should I buy???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to purchase a Billy Goat debris loader this August and I am wondering which one I should get. Its between the 13HP with the 8" intake and the 16HP with the 10" intake, list priced at my dealer for $2,219 and $2,889 respectively. Both are Honda engines. I am looking for input from people who have either of these machines or ones similar...or perhaps have worked with something comprable in the past. Is the 13HP under powered, or is it enough. They also make an 11HP Briggs with an 8" intake, but I don't deal with Briggs anymore. Thanks for your help-Esby

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the biggest you can afford. The 16 HP w/ a 10" hose will load faster than the 13HP w/ a 8" hose. The 16 will do a better (faster) job when you have to load wet debris. Esby as you sure the 16 HP is a Honda??? My friend has the 16 HP Billy-Goat and his engine is a Briggs Vanguard. He has had zero problems w/ the Briggs after 3 seasons of use.

3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 16hp and it rocks!!!! Starts on the first pull and rarely clogs. I would not buy anything smaller because when the leaves are wet the will clog the shoot a little.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have a 16 hp Little Wonder Loader and it is awsome. I upgraded from an 11 hp Billy Goat, the Billy Goat was a work horse but the bigger the better. You sure they have Honda engines????

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

You won't be sorry if you go with the 16. I wouldn't want mine with any less horsepower.

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just browsed Bill Goat's website and it says it is a Briggs Vangaurd 16. I'm going to have to check this out again at my dealer because he said both the 13 and the 16 were Honda's. He even brought out the 16HP and fired it up for me. I guess I got so caught up in realizing how much time this was going to save me that I didn't actually look for myself at the engine. It's not that I am anti-Briggs, I'm sure they have made improvements, it's just that I have a fair share of problems with them in the past. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the 16HP over the 13, if there is one thing I have learned over the years is you can NEVER have enough power. Does anyone have pictures of their leaf set ups with the loader...I've searched around a bit and seen some as well. Thanks-Esby

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

the vanguards are nice engines.. my 18 just turned over 1760 hrs. It still runs well.

8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Mine has the 16hp Vanguard and it is a stud. Never have I had any issues with it.

9. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

23 hp kohler w/12" intake

vac1.jpg