Bill Locklin book

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Mar 5, 2007.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

Bill Locklin has recently published a book about how his hobby became an obsession and ultimately started an entire industry. For those who haven't been around very long Bill Locklin is the President of Loran Nightscaping and is known as the father of the low voltage landscape lighting industry as we know it today. It would be a good idea to know the history of your industry and I highly recommend you get your hands on this book read it and make it a part of your low voltage landscape lighting library.

I'm proud to say that I started my career with Nightscaping, had alot of good years and was thought of as a son to Bill. Although I have been estranged from Bill and Nightscaping for about 8 yrs. now.

His teachings ( stand behind your work unconditionally, safety first, see the effect not the source, etc.) are evident in everyone of my designs today. His work ethic I respect and is one I attempt to emulate. He's 85 yrs old and goes to work everyday at Nightscaping. www.Nightscaping.com

I will never forget the positive impact my association with him has had on me.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy.

Sincerely,
    Mike Gambino
    Gambino landscape lighting inc.
    www.GAMBINOLANDSCAPELIGHTING.com

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

MIKE!

Glad to see you're still at it.

I ordered a signed hardcover copy of Bill's book through Connie last week.

What's new?

3. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

Hey Gregg, I'm doing great. Still the same fire in my belly as the first day that I put on the Nightscaping pinstripes some 17 yrs ago. You still on Nightchat?
    Has the mention of my name in there gotten anyone else kicked off lately?

Regards,
    Mike G

4. irrig8r

Yes Mike, I'm still on Nightchat. Haven't seen anyone bring up your name lately but I will just to get a reaction if you like. :)

It just ain't the same without you man.

So what are these Crestron and UPB switching I saw you write about in another thread about pricing?

Do you use any Nightscaping product anymore? How about the Dominator? Have you had an opportunity to use it, and if so, what do you think about it?

Hope you have a great year. Things are taking off around here. Trying to get as much lighting in as I can before the sprinkler season revs up again.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

mike,
    i will have to say that i am so impressed with your work. i went to your website, and if that is your work, it is incredible....

kudos to what you have achieved.

and i am SO JEALOUS........

6. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

Thanks Yard pro. Yes those are all actual photos of my projects all taken personally by me. I haven't added anything new for over a yr. now. I need to re-organize them, add, subtract and refresh the whole gallery but I just haven't had the time to do so.

7. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

Yes Mike, I'm still on Nightchat. Haven't seen anyone bring up your name lately but I will just to get a reaction if you like. Gregg please don't, the last time someone did I heard he got bannedIt just ain't the same without you man. Thanks

So what are these Crestron and UPB switching I saw you write about in another thread about pricing? Remote controlled switching systems. Crestron is a ultra high end hard wired system and not installed by me, UPB is a non hard wired powerline/RF along the lines of x-10 but much better

Do you use any Nightscaping product anymore? Not really. I have developed my own proprietary fixture line which was designed and is exclusively built for me with my company name and website in raised letters on the fixtures, ocassionally I might use an obscure piece or two that I don't have How about the Dominator? Have you had an opportunity to use it, and if so, what do you think about it? Yes, when it first came out I used 1 in the fall of 05, what is it our mom's said about not saying anything if we don't have anything................you know the rest

Hope you have a great year. Things are taking off around here. Trying to get as much lighting in as I can before the sprinkler season revs up again. Great to hear from you, lots of luck this year

Regards,
    Mike G

8. irrig8r

I'll look into the UPB. I got a letter and a phone call from a company the other day called ControlSCAPE that sounds similar.

I mostly use the Aube-made PS modules with Nightscaping Powercenters, and some with hardwired manual switching done by an electrician, and then some LV switching for specific areas like increased light under an arbor for outdoor dining, etc.

The Dominator looks interesting, but there are some improvements that could be made... something a PS with with added remote control options would be my "best of both worlds".

I saw a pic with your logo and 800 phone number on an uplight grate. Does that get you any extra business? You've always been a little better at self-promotion and marketing than I have. (And probably self-discipline too.) You, my friend, seem to have a bottomless well of enthusiasm for your work.

Back to the original topic: I'm looking forward to receiving Bill's book and waiting patiently. BTW, when are you gonna write your own book? I'd like to reserve a copy now.