1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bill rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, Jan 17, 2003.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked at a commercial property I was asked to bid on for lawn maintenance and shrub trimming. The property has a small retention pond in back, some mowing around the perimeter I could use a rider on, but mainly consists of small grass islands, as well as a huge parking area to be blown off. The property is also on a main road, so I will need to spend time picking up litter. It doesn't look like a lot of grass but I figured my estimated monthly time to do the account would be approx 14 hours. My usual bill rate is $50 per hour. I was wondering what other companies charge as a bill rate. Thanks!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, if 50 bucks an hour is ok with you, so be it. I like $65 an hour better...that's ours.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris I believe you should bid what it takes for you to make per hour n turn a profit .... at $50 per hr that would put that job at about $2400.00 per month or $28,800.00 for the year (based on 42 visits per year .... don't know if this is the yearly schedule in St. Pete but it's gotta be close)

But I'm confussed you say you estimate 14 hours per month .... or did you mean 14 hours per visit ....cause right now I know for a fact that job sites that we use 20 hours per visit in mid summer .... are around 12 hours per visit in winter ..... which in monthly hours is 80 vs. 24 but we get the same pay ....(even less hours for many ...we just cut one this week which in summer takes 48 man hours but only took 20 hours this week)
  4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

The 14 hour figure is for the month. I've taken into account the difference in time for summer and winter months. My monthly charge for the account will be $700. I just wanted to make sure i'm not out of line on this price, because when you look at the property it doesn't seem like that much turf. The islands and the retention pond as well as the hedges and large parking area make it time consuming.