billboard advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cutters Lawn Care, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you have used a billboard for advertising. If you have what kind of results did you get?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Billboards are way too expensive!!

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two I lease out, but do not advertise my business on them. Yellow pages would work better IMO.

4. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

thanks

5. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I called to get prices for one in my area. One that I priced was on the main highway that goes though the city of Madison (capitol of Wisconsin). After they told me it would be $6,000 a month I said no thank you.

6. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I found a vacant lot on a well traveled roadway near some target neighborhoods. The owner of the land let me put up a 4x8 professionally painted sign for nothing with the understanding that it comes down if the land is sold. The sign ran $250.00 but in the long run has been alot less than running ads in the paper. I've gotten numerous calls even though the sign went up after many people had LCO's. It gives them a place to get my number if they need service without having to pay yellow page pricing.

And I will always be able to move the sign or place it on a shop.

7. CCLAWN

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

We put up a billboard in 2003. Pricing was $1400/ month with 3 month commitment. WE GOT 2 CALLS!. However, this was a good way to get the name out. We track with Realgreen and there were numerous times I heard from customers they got our flyer and saw our add in YP and saw billboard. How can you track that?

I do think it was a positive to get the name out and good exposure. The most people that look at them are people in our field. All mow guys I talked too said they saw it. Many other trade professionals stated they saw it. However, it did not make a positive return in our investment overall. If you have a high profile area and you can afford to drop a few dollars, it is a good secondary marketing tool.

Be sure to make it simple though. 2 maybe 3 sentences with bullets. Make sure words do not contrast with the picture and is easy to read. About every other one in the St. Louis area have too much crap on them and you have to go by them a dozen times to read everything.

Good idea.....Re-enforcement marketing though.

Make sure it goes up when mailers go out or you during a TM campaign.:cool2:

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Cutters,

Here is a quote from this post.

"Here are a few things to consider with billboards (and radio) as a means of advertising. Think about the mechanics of billboards. Lets assume the following, the average speed past the billboard is 30 mph and you stick to the rule of thumb with billboards not more than 3 elements (logo or company, phone number, and one other element.. offer, message, website, etc).

Visibility : With the average speed of 30 mph this means you can travel 1 mile in 2 min or 1/2 mile in 1 min. Let assume the average eye can read the billboard from 1/4 mile to the time they pass the billboard, that means that the average time to see the board is 30 seconds. The reality is that it is probably more realistic to think that the eye can comfortably see a billboard at 1/8th mile which is 15 seconds. How much can you take in and then find a piece of paper to write the number or pick up the cell phone and call in 15 sec. Spill....42,000 cars that the billboard co is quoting, how many are coming from the desired area?

Message: What kind of message are you going to put on the billboard? You can not list services because the driver or passengers do not have enuf time to absorb all that info.

Call to Action: How are you going to get that person to remember who you are and how to get ahold of you? This works well if you have a vanity phone number 1-800-TRU-GREEN

Billboards like radio are great for branding. It is a great secondary tactic for reinforcement of existing tactics. They work great when you have just sent someone a mail piece or they just got a flyer and are cruising home from work and see the board. Getting people to pick up the phone and asking them to remember the number after all the factors that they have incurred since they saw the board is a lot to ask. I would recommend dropping flyers in O'Fallon and Belleville either just prior to or just after the boards run. Think about billboards. Who uses them. Phone company, ATT, wireless providers / Nextel, etc. These are also the same folks that are spending millions in other tactics. Billboards need to be a clear and consistent message. Billboards work great if you have a incredible offer "Going Out Of Business Liquidation", "50% OFF", etc. or you run them every week. "