Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pines, Mar 16, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever advertised this way. If so, how did you fair?
  2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

come to think of it, I have never seen an LCO advertise on billboards. I saw my first exmark billboard last year. I would figure they'd have them everywhere.
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I know a guy that tried it last year. He figured he might have gotten some name recognition out of it, but he couldn't contribute any sales from it.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Ultra-expensive is what I heard of them. I never looked into but I think this was mentioned before and it was around $3,000 a month probably varies on traffic volume.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I remember reading a thread about it like 3 years was from someone I think around the St. Louis, MO area. Do a search and you might find it (no, not who you are thinking), and don't hold me to it though.
  6. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

a friend of mine tried it,not one job,not even a call wasted 5000.00 now he is out of biz.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have never tried it. And I don't think I've seen it anywhere around Portland (the biggest city in OR - near where I live) anywhere in the 8 years I've been in business. I doubt even the big LCOs and Landscapers around here have the $$ to afford what they charge for the billboards in the big city.

BUT, I am seeing them pop up like crazy all over Salem, OR - which is where I grew up - about 50 miles from here. Smaller town, less per capita income, much smaller population, advertising costs a lot lower, etc. So that's probably why. I go back there and visit family every few weeks. And every time I've been in Salem for the past several weeks I've seen at least one or two billboards for LCOs. Not Landscapers - just LCOs. Just billboards for maintenance companies. It's weird. I've seen two different companies advertising on billboards there in the past month.

I can't imagine that's the best form of advertising or the best ROI. But I guess it must be working a little.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Pines,

Here is a quote from CC Lawns from this post.

"We put up a billboard in 2003. Pricing was $1400/ month with 3 month commitment. WE GOT 2 CALLS!. However, this was a good way to get the name out."
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Give me $4200 and I guarantee I can "Get your name out" a lot more effectively - and to the actual target audience too (those with nice landscapes who can afford your services).
  10. AssistSuper

AssistSuper Banned

With the billboard, who knows what type of people you're targeting. I for one rarely look at the billboards while driving. Fliers or doorhangers would be more effective IMO.