Billing - Accounts Receivables Nightmare HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cclc1021, Jun 22, 2005.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

My husband and I just bought a lawn care business. We purchased 72 residential client accounts. We sent out our billing statements June 8, for May. We have only received 10% of payment. I want to get away from direct billing and offer payment by credit card and or payment at the time of service via cash or check. I am trying to write a letter letting my clients know about the new payment options. I'd apprecaite any suggestions and or templates.

I also want my clients to sign contracts for lawn services. Does anyone have any sample letters requesting a contract?

Thanks for any help!!

CCLC

2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

You should have sent them out June 1st. Average response time for my customers is 1-3 weeks. Some go 4 weeks. Give it some time.

3. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

It will be difficult to get the existing clients to change to the credit cards. Some of them will but most won't.

I would suggest that you send out the bills on a specific day each month - like the 1st - and require payment by the 15th or 20th. If they are late, tell them that you will require a credit card from them in order to continue service. You should bill the credit card each time that you service the property.

Residential accounts should not require a contract unless you are full service and have spent more upfront time and money on them. As long as you are doing a reasonably good job, they will not change companies. If they do change, for the most part you will be glad that they did.

5. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks!!