Billing/Cutting Schedule

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmkosko, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dmkosko

dmkosko LawnSite Member

Hi I set up a landscaping contract with one house where we usually cut the lawn every two weeks, but because of all the rain it has been growing faster than normal. Do I stay on the two week schedule or come whenever a cut is needed? Thanks for the help!

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Same issue here, I usually just raise the blades and cut it higher (3.5 " instead of 3'' for instance) so there's not as much clippings in the yard. With the extreme heat, it shouldn't grow that much by next scheduled visit, provided there's not a lot of rain. At that time, lower them to your normal height. Not worth doing a double cutting on the property unless the cust is willing to pay for it, which most times, they aren't.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

4. dmkosko

dmkosko LawnSite Member

Hey we agreed to cut every two weeks, but when I drove past there the other day the grass was already long that's why I was wondering.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Roger. Every-other-week accounts have drawbacks, such as scheduling, and problems like this. Most of my EOW accounts are rentals, if that suggests anything. When you take on EOW accounts be sure to realize that a well irrigated and fertilized lawn can require double mowing at times.

There are few options here, you know. The client can pay for extra mowings, if he wants, or he can just allow the grass to get several inches tall. You can cut it twice, but if you feel that you'll lose your shirt over the extra time then don't. Bottom line is that you need to communicate whenever there is an issue that affects you or the client.

6. dmkosko

dmkosko LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys! It is much appreciated