1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billing? Door or Mail?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fga, Apr 23, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Do any of you guys ( or gals) do all your billing completely by mail? I've been doing this for 2 years now because I hated wasting time writing out bills on the route.
    The thing is, I'm waiting for the mailman like Rosie O'donnell waits for the dounts to finish. I've put out alot in pay roll, and did a few small mulch jobs out of my pocket, and a few plants out of pocket. My customers must think I don't want to get paid. I've done about 65 - 70 clean ups this year (Thatch and fertilize). I've recieved about 12 checks!! coming off the winter this hurts. I know I'll get paid, but give me a break.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most all "one time" jobs are paid when job is completed. Rare ocassions and full-time mowing accounts are invoiced through mail.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

1/2 paid in advance(makes sure that we do the work). Then rest due on completion. If not at home leave bill at home with note saying due within 15 days or 6% interest per day. this is stated in our contract also. I belive I have never had anyone incure interest.
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Invoice at the end of the month.

Would never consider having my crews collect money.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi fga,

Would having a late fee policy help with getting your customers to pay faster?
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I bill regulars once a month, one timers pay at the time of service.

7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

6% per day = 2190% a year! No usury laws in Oregon? You better check with an attorney before the state attorney is contacting you about your interest rate.

A quick search on Google turned up this website:

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

What I do for Single 1 time events or clean up is give 2 prices .... say you need $200 for a job which you performed yesterday April 26 .... the cost of payment recieved with in 5 days is $200 afterwards the cost is $230 .... payments 30 net is $250