1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billing in 6 minute units?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Darryl G, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I do a fair amount of work for my regular customers on an hourly time & materials basis. I usually bill in 1/4 hour increments.

I've noticed lately that a lot of businesses who bill their time hourly bill it in 1/10th hour or 6 minute increments (lawyers, mechaincs etc.) They call them "units". I was wondering if anyone in the green industry bills that way?

And I'm not looking for a lesson on why I shouldn't be billing hourly to begin with :)
  2. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I service swimming pools. We bill in 1 hour minimum and then 15 minute intervals. Rounding up. Of course we try to never quote hourly rates.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If I do anything like that its 1/2 hr. 6 minute increments seems too picky, if you are at 15 minute increments I would keep it that way.
  4. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Units work great. I bill out with whatever method works, for me there is no reason not to use different methods for different projects. I do not show the math on my invoice, I simply print the word Labor, $108,000.00. Mostly I calculate to the minute.

If you do show the labor cost as both hours and dollars, then I would use the units.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I do 6 min billing . Service call covers up to the first 1/2 hr, after that its 1/10 of hr.