billing /invoice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by surfsk869, May 27, 2007.

1. surfsk869

surfsk869 LawnSite Member
    from mass

so heres the deal, i have a small scale landscaping company that consists of myself and my brother. we work under the table and receive payment directly from out clients upon completion of the task, usually as a check. ive just gotten a call from a real estate agent who wants me to do a weekly mow on one of their houses - however, he gave me an address to bill. i have never made an invoice/bill and am not exactly sure as to what to put on it aside from payment due billing address etc. can anyone fill me in as to exactly what is on an invoice?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

So your not legit yet you want others who are legit and pay taxes, insurance, etc. to give you advise? Good luck.....

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If you'll post here your name and mailing address, I can send you some templates that might help you. :rolleyes:

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

small scale just you and your bro. you just need five things on a bill.

1) your name
    2) Your mailing address
    3) whom the check should be made to
    4) date of mowing
    5) total due and when its due

5. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

I wouldnt bill the address. I would bill the real estate agent. In fact, I would collect the money immediately after the job.

I have had bad experiences with shady real estate agents. They just want the lawn cut before they show a house, and could give a rats ass when or if you get paid.

Unless you trust this real estate agent and know them well, I would not bill the address. GET THE $$$

6. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I would bill him all right as soon as the job is done find him and hand the bill and say please pay like right now . and a reminder that if he pays you over $600.00 he will more than likely send you a 1099 form at the end of the year

7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Those are all good items to include but I would include a few others. First, include a discount line on the bill so the customer knows how much money they saved by hiring someone who doesn't bother with those annoying extras such as insurance and taxes.

Second, I would also include a disclaimer on the bill somewhere telling the customer that in the event that you damage their property or injure someone while on the job, they shouldn't bother trying to harass you for the money, but instead go directly to a lawyer - you worthless, incompetent prick.

P.S. - shame on anyone who reads this or any post by him and responds with any legitimate advice (unless of course the post is titled "How can I become a legal and legitimate business)!

edited: no name calling please. jodi

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You do not have a small scale landscape company, you do not have anything
    if uncle sam can't see it it does not exist.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

she, tell that to the companies who used to work for this guys new clients. I'm sure they have a different opinion of his "business".

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess that explains why you can't buy from wholesale yards - see other posts.