Lawn Care Forum banner

billing /invoice

6K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  Garden Thyme 
#1 ·
so heres the deal, i have a small scale landscaping company that consists of myself and my brother. we work under the table and receive payment directly from out clients upon completion of the task, usually as a check. ive just gotten a call from a real estate agent who wants me to do a weekly mow on one of their houses - however, he gave me an address to bill. i have never made an invoice/bill and am not exactly sure as to what to put on it aside from payment due billing address etc. can anyone fill me in as to exactly what is on an invoice?

#5 ·
I wouldnt bill the address. I would bill the real estate agent. In fact, I would collect the money immediately after the job.

I have had bad experiences with shady real estate agents. They just want the lawn cut before they show a house, and could give a rats ass when or if you get paid.

Unless you trust this real estate agent and know them well, I would not bill the address. GET THE $$$

#6 ·
I would bill him all right as soon as the job is done find him and hand the bill and say please pay like right now . and a reminder that if he pays you over $600.00 he will more than likely send you a 1099 form at the end of the year

#7 ·
small scale just you and your bro. you just need five things on a bill.

1) your name
2) Your mailing address
3) whom the check should be made to
4) date of mowing
5) total due and when its due
Those are all good items to include but I would include a few others. First, include a discount line on the bill so the customer knows how much money they saved by hiring someone who doesn't bother with those annoying extras such as insurance and taxes.

Second, I would also include a disclaimer on the bill somewhere telling the customer that in the event that you damage their property or injure someone while on the job, they shouldn't bother trying to harass you for the money, but instead go directly to a lawyer - you worthless, incompetent prick.

P.S. - shame on anyone who reads this or any post by him and responds with any legitimate advice (unless of course the post is titled "How can I become a legal and legitimate business)!

edited: no name calling please. jodi

#13 ·
Of all your 14 posts,
Not a one asks how to become legit.
How to register a business.
How to get a tax ID#.
How to sign up for license classes.
Where to look for decent insurance companies.

How is the realtor going to hire you without insurance?
I always have to show an insurance certificate.
And what are you going to do when you get that 1099?
I'll give you another clue, Stating here that you work under the table is not your smartest move either. Uncle Sam has long arms.

Work on what I mentioned and ask the right questions here and many of us will be glad to give you good information about all aspects of this business.

#14 ·
I just find it so funny that there can be threads *****ing about lowballers, raising the level of professionalism, and *****ing about how we are not respected like other contractors and then when the clearest example of what a lowballer is, what is unprofessional, and what makes you all not respected is right in your face, half of you don't get it.

#15 ·
what a bunch of hard ons you guys are.... kid and his brother are starting something up and you guys want to send him to leavenworth.... bravo!

when i was 16 i started mowing lawns witha friend, glad you tough guys weren't around......
He has been in business for three years according to his profile.

#17 ·
I just find it so funny that there can be threads *****ing about lowballers, raising the level of professionalism, and *****ing about how we are not respected like other contractors and then when the clearest example of what a lowballer is, what is unprofessional, and what makes you all not respected is right in your face, half of you don't get it.
Totally in agreement however, I don't think is funny. Its actually pretty sad.

#18 ·
I hope Uncle Sam grabs a hold of their britches and gives them a wedgy.

#20 ·
apparently this kid has never read any of our other posts about what a lowballer is or maybe he is just thick and hasnt caught on yet that, exactly whatt he described himself as is what we fight off every day to stay in business..........UN REAL at least pay taxes buddy, or if you are just like 12 yrs old stop acting like a big time company

#21 ·
Those are all good items to include but I would include a few others. First, include a discount line on the bill so the customer knows how much money they saved by hiring someone who doesn't bother with those annoying extras such as insurance and taxes.

Second, I would also include a disclaimer on the bill somewhere telling the customer that in the event that you damage their property or injure someone while on the job, they shouldn't bother trying to harass you for the money, but instead go directly to a lawyer - you worthless, incompetent prick.

P.S. - shame on anyone who reads this or any post by him and responds with any legitimate advice (unless of course the post is titled "How can I become a legal and legitimate business)!

edited: no name calling please. jodi
shame on anyone who helps this guy? I DONT THINK SO Jimmyboy. You sound arrogant and self righteous I was not legitimate for the first cupple of years myself, and someone helped me. Is your business on such shakey ground that you feel threatend by him. How long did you work off the books when you started? tell me and be honest how long? shame on you for being so egotistical you have a need to attack a new guy. I saw a bumper sticker the other day it said "Mean People Suck"

#22 ·
I guess that explains why you can't buy from wholesale yards - see other posts.
Your statement is not entirely true.

I wonder how many of you guys started off the books, Insted of tearing this guy down why dont some of you guys help and encourage him in that direction, 1/2 of you guys need to pull your heads out of your butts and remember where you came from. I smell so much EGO hear the stench makes me want to spue.

#23 ·
Most of the people who post here are not going to give advise about breaking the law. A lot of the folks here worked (and still work hard) to get where they are at. Folks here try to help each other out.

To do things correctly and legally the steps are pretty easy and painless.

#24 ·
apparently this kid has never read any of our other posts about what a lowballer is or maybe he is just thick and hasnt caught on yet that, exactly whatt he described himself as is what we fight off every day to stay in business..........UN REAL at least pay taxes buddy, or if you are just like 12 yrs old stop acting like a big time company
You have to fight off low ballers? why do you have to do that? they are all around me and I do not feel the need to attack them.

you people crying about low ballers need to stop acting like girlymen you should start pushing a better service, do a better job, where cleaner clothing, wash your trucks and change your attatudes and start smileing more mabey return calls faster then maby you will not be threatended by low ballers, I envite all the lowballers to cape cod to see how many of my customers they can take from me bring it on .

#25 ·
You have to fight off low ballers? why do you have to do that? they are all around me and I do not feel the need to attack them.

you people crying about low ballers need to stop acting like girlymen you should start pushing a better service, do a better job, where cleaner clothing, wash your trucks and change your attatudes and start smileing more mabey return calls faster then maby you will not be threatended by low ballers, I envite all the lowballers to cape cod to see how many of my customers they can take from me bring it on .
I agree. :)

#26 ·
its a figure of speech, everyday there is a new guy in this town i see this guy with his brand new land rover pulling two 48" walk behindes around doing lawns? if he can afford that wthell is he doing landscaping for.

its not that im fighting them moff my accounts its just that i have to charge almost everyone a $40 minimum and i know its high on some lawns but its what i need to do to get by. where as ur part time non legit guy can come by and do it for 25, cause hes doing it for the extra dinero whereas this is my only income, its just agravating but w/e

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.