billing its confusion to me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Aug 17, 2004.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

i have the gopher software but,say a customer want monthly lawn service,how do you remember how many cuts the have left for the month and some customers start at all different days of the month.also do you collect the money before the month or at the end of there month

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Yo fellow sunshine stater......

Basically, once your client makes a year (even less, most times.) the Start date means little.

You are on twelve month- meaning they will get 32-38 cuts per twelve month period June to June or December to December.

IF you are billing for three cuts and they quit you after the heat of the season- they owe you since you picked them up in June. If you start them in Dec., you are about break even.

There is only one month at a time. June is JUNE. Not June 15 to July 15.

Does that help? Life is too short to complicate your life.

Clients will understand that you bill on the fifteenth and its due on the first.

Client will understand that it is not necessary to be retentive, that once you have made twelve months, all things are good, square and even. (If you quit early, I'm itemizing your account, to see who owes who.) [which is a good feature to have if you use it.]

3. GeeVee

PS.

It has nothing to do with any particular software.........

4. contourbs

what about you know say they ok month to month for 70 dollars.which includes 4 cuts unless theres 5 weeks in that month then its more.but i dont have anyone on a year at a time.so i do i bill them each month and keep track of when that month is over and needed to be billed.its all new to me

5. GeeVee

No one explained the benefits of the twelve month contract to you yet?

And you spent a wad on Software?

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

and how long have you been working as a professional? have you billed at all for the cutting season?

7. contourbs

yeah i bill them each month, but when i have more accounts then i wont be able to keep track. in my area they dont really do the 12 month contracts. i understand the benifits.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first started I took any work I could get .... after a while it came to the point when unless it was a monthly billing for 12 month period ... I pass

Way I explain it is .... I determine the "per cut" price multiple this by the number of cuts which is the "normal" for my area which is 42 ( which is weekly May-Oct & bi Nov-April ) n take this total ... divide by 12 .... for equal month income .... so I don't starve in the "winter"

So if Iwant $30 per cut this is $105 per month .... in my contract I have the legal statement of

Upon Cancellation Compensation for All Services will be pro-rated in conjunction with the work performed between First & Last Day of Service Agreement.

9. contourbs

thats a very easy way of doing it, but like you said when you started you took anything, just like me. I would think it would be harder to sell a yearly contract over a monthly. i would love the yearly ones but i would think it would be harder to sell.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Fantasy,

It ain't rocket science and even most of my clients understand that. It is just a matter of how you pitch it.

Mr jones do you like writing 4 checks a month? Mr. jones would you like to pay so much in the summer?

No to both. How about if we spread out the money over 12 equal payments? That way it is easy to remember and you can budget easier and so can I. Sound fair.

Great. Sign here.