billing more than estimate??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DylanK, Aug 13, 2006.

1. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

if you under estimated something and didnt price it right, is it alright to bill the person for what you think it should be, and not the original estimate?

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Um No!!! However, if the estimate included overage for unseen things and was ok'd by prop owner then yes. How much over are you needing to make things good$$$$$

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Imo no. Unless you had it in writing that extra expenses will be added in on the final bill and have the signature of the home owner. Even that doesn't really cover you.

4. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

well i priced out a job to a family member.. $35-weeding, $30-bush trimming, $15-tree trimming...

weeding was way more than expected, i was think $50 for weeding, and $50 for trimming bush's and trees

i dont want to screw her over though... i didnt know if this was a common thing

5. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

your loss...suck it up

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ESTIMATING!!!!

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

agreed we are talking petty cash here and it will help you to learn to estimate better. chalk it up to money spent on your education.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Whenever I give a true "estimate" I make sure to note that it is in fact an estimate...I'll normally give a price range, i.e. $120-$150 so they know it will fall somewhere in there. Otherwise the price is the price, win some and lose some.

Estimate is a mis-used word, most people ask for an estimate when what they mean is the final price. When in doubt just word it correctly.

8. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

alright... thanks for the replies

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what ever happened to estimates being defined as estimates. they ask for an approximate price. if they ask for an actual or contracted price, then that be different. i think laws in a lot of areas allow you to charge up to 10% over an estimated price. i charge hourly and give a range of hours itll take.

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If you do that to that person because you don't know how to estimate, YOU need to quit this business before you do anymore damage to it.