Billing of Credit Card Fees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Summit L & D, May 27, 2008.

1. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

I was under the impression that you can not bill the fees that a credit card company charges you as a separate line item on an invoice. With that being said, what I had understood it to be was that you can obviously include that fee as an item in the bill, but NOT as a separate line item.

However, when I am sending out our invoices I do offer a cash or check discount equal to the credit card fee if the customer wants to pay that way.

All that leads me to my next question. Today I went out to purchase a new gooseneck trailer. Before I even set foot on the lot that I was to purchase the trailer from I had received other bids (trailer + tt&l out the door price) on comparable models at other dealerships including the one I went to get the trailer from. When I got down to signing the papers, the sales guy had added the additional credit fees to the total invoice .... as an additional line item. Thus changing the price he had quoted me over the phone.

Needless to say, I went ahead and finished the transaction...possibly a bad move, I know. None the less I feel that I should have a decent case against the owner of the company, as there are some other things that are not right with the trailer which I found after I returned home and went over the trailer in greater detail.

So my main question is this, does he owe me the credit fee back do his lack of following procedure for the sale?

Thanks for the help.
  2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know, there is no "legal" issue with charging cc fees, however, if you look at any cc merchant agreement, it will clearly state that you (the retailer) are not allowed to charge extra for using a credit card. You can, however, offer a cash discount. It is semantics, I know, but you can't argue with the all-mighty credit card companies. If it really bothers you, call your cc company and report the retailer. I'm sure they will take care of the problem!

To add a bit more, when in doubt or uncomfortable about a transaction, walk away. Trailer sales is a very competitive business and there is always someone else who would love to sell you one so don't let one company push you around. I had a similar issue when I bought my utility trailer last year. I called and got a quote on the trailer I wanted, went to the dealership and was told a slightly higher price. I told them what I was quoted over the phone and the guy said that was last years price but since this was last years model trailer he could still give me the quoted price. Then he tried to balk again when I told him I was going to use a credit card. I gathered my things and took a walk.

Unfortunately for you, you have already made the purchase so you're pretty much stuck. If there are real issues with the trailer that should be repaired, go back and make it happen. If you just aren't happy with the quality of the trailer, that's called buyers remorse and the only thing you can do is learn from it. Nothing personal, but it sounds to me like your bummed about the extra cc charge and upset that you didn't say anything so now your looking for other faults to keep you fired up. I say let it go and move on, but don't make the same mistake next time.
  3. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your insight. As far as the trailer goes...I did get what I paid for. Cheaper price = cheaper materials in trailer. However, when I buy a NEW trailer I don't expect there to be broken welds, lights that flicker all the way down the road and other things like that.