Billing Poll

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lizard Lawn Care, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Lizard Lawn Care

Lizard Lawn Care LawnSite Member

:usflag: :) :usflag: Am I in the minority or majority????

I bill all my customers for services rendered.... What does everyone else do?? bill at the end of the month or make customers prepay>?????:clapping:
    I also make my customers sign a "service agreement" its purpose is to advise of average service times on a monthly basis and to get a commitment for payment for services rendered.... Folks around here DO NOT WANT to sign long term contracts so, this gives them the option to cancel at any time.....but I think I have some firepower if they dont pay.....

whats up?????:usflag: :) :usflag:
  2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

first of the month for the previous month,no contract. Had some people for 10 plus years.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I bill all my customers at the end of the month. I use only an agreement that they sign to show how much it is per cut. If they want to cancel I don't care. No one has canceled during the year unless they moved.
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i now have 1 that i get paid for at the end of the month, but i know i would never have problems with him paying. the rest i collect after service arch time, but i am thinking of giving them the bi-weekly or monthy payment by mail system, i would set an absolute due date that if i did not have money from them by the time their next service came around i would call, and let them know, then i would get payment before i did any work. if they didn't send me a check, and if they didn't pay me in person when i got there, they would have tall grass.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

As your business grows charging for each service can become a paperwork nightmare. For that reason 12 payments per year associated with a month usually works nicely. And paying on line without any bill be sent is definitely the way of the future. The nightmare comes in keeping payments in sync with mowing dates. People are getting dumb and dumber and it appears if you tell them you owe me for May...they can comprehend that.
  6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

The day I start becomes their billing date. I bill after services rendered. If I start on the 10th, they get a bill for the period from the 10th through the 9th. I make them sign a service agreement the first year so they understand they are gonna pay me for all 12 months. After the first year, I usually do business on a handshake. I send an itemized bill each month showing the billing period and the dates we serviced them. The Basic Service rate is charged each month. Fertilizing, weed killing, etc. is billed as line item additional in the billing period that it was performed.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Work first, then pay, per service rendered.

For those who prefer monthly billing, I offer this for any customer with whom, after some initial time we decide we're ok with each other.
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seasonal full service contracts. x amount of cuts, aeration ,bushes, mulch , fert etc.spread out over x amount of mouths.
  9. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Had Some Invoices Made That I Put In Their Mailbox After Each Visit. If They Havent Paid By The Next Vist They Dont Get Cut If They Are New. Most Of My Residentials Are Every Two Weeks, So I Think Thats Plenty Of Time For Them To Send Payment It Works Out Pretty Good.
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't put an invoice in their mailbox unless it has a new stamp on it. If you piss off the wrong postal employee, you'll be paying a large fine.

And stop capitalizing each word, VERY hard to read!