1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

billing recommendations for residential drives

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by J Berry, Oct 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Berry

J Berry LawnSite Member
    from nh

This will be my first season out.
    I was wondering which is the prefered method of billing
    for reidential driveways. I hope to get around 8 or so
    and maybe 1 private road right by my house.
    One local guy said he billed every 4 storms, is this a
    good idea or should I bill on every event.

any info would be appreciated

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion:

If you're charging per time, bill as often as possible with a Net 10 Day payment cycle. Cash flow is very important.

If you're charging per season, get all your dough up front. You'll need the money to survive, pay bills, pay for gas - etc. If it's a mild winter, residentials balk at paying that last "installment" if you let them pay over several months.
  3. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

When I was younger and did all driveways, I used the hand method. That's knock on the door and stick my hand out and asked the customer to pay me for services rendered. Nice if you can get away with it. Give some thought to pre-printing some invoices off your computer and then hand-write them in and give them to your customers upon completion of the work. If you don't have alot of money to float cash flow; get paid as soon as possible.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

You do them by the season and get paid by Nov. 15th.

I've seen some guys offer a split payment Nov. 15th and Jan 1st.

If you DO charge per time, bill early and bill often.
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I'd recommend charging per season, for the reasons stated by the other guys. We charge per season and the money is due Dec.1st in total.
  6. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

A lot of it depends on the prescedent set by your competitors. When we were doing residential (which we don't do anymore because it got to be too much hassal), we were getting the full season's payment up front. If they didn't want that, we didn't want them. Cash(flow)is king!
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If all you plan to do is eight drives just keep it simple and collect at time of service.
  8. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

We have it written into our contracts that we bill after each snow occurance except if there's more in the forecast. Then we might lump 2 or 3 together. With 8 it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to do all the billings. I'm talking about over 100 accounts.
  9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our company has been plowing commercial and residential accounts for over 6 years and we do all our maintenance summer and winter on a monthly plan. For our residential accounts up to 30 we charge say like $30per storm and over 8" will be $45.00. We also send them a contract that they will sign and mail back stating costs per storm and sanding charges. Also we put in there we are not responsable for loose or broken pavement from winter maintenance (you could be in for a big headache) if you dont add that WE LEARNED YEARS AGO!!!
  10. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Do you have something in your contracts about damage to grass, shrubbery, edging, etc? Do you plow brick paver driveways?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.