Billing software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ken0564, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

looking to finally upgrade from the old fashion way, fortunately we are gaining many clients and the 'old' way is becoming too time consuming. I don't need anything fancy, I just want a software that will easily allow me to create monthly invoices and get em out. I'd like to keep the cost to a minimum but don't want to be throwing $'s out the door for something that will not work. I just need basic. Any input? Thanks. k
  2. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

i got this site from someone on lawsite last week. i looked into it, set everything up and i love it. like you, the old way was way too time consuming. see this link
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I use Gopher and Im tired of it. Thinking about going to Groundskeeper this summer.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Yes I use LMS also, it is a great setup for billing and even has allows customers to pay you online. well worth the $3/month
  5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnpro 2.27 and it works very well for me.
  6. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

just use QuickBooks. If your computer crashes, you are not in deep water like these guys are telling you. You just install QuickBooks on a different computer and restore a backup.

Anyone with a brain will backup their data regularly, and QuickBooks even offers an online backup service if you don't have the brians to back up your data to a cd once a week.

If you don't want to spend money on investing in your business's systems, just use QuickBooks Simple Start. It is free (as in $0.00 a month).

Hey snakeid, what's your relation to LMS?
  7. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Does LMS deposit the funds paid through their service by the customer to your bank account?
  8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I just type a huge essay about the pros and cons and got logged out due to inactivity so screw it I'll make this short and sweet.

LMS isnt "free credit card processig" you pay a higher fee by having the funds deposted into your PayPal account.

You will pay 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction deposted into your PayPal account plus your $2.99 per month to LSM.

If you do well, you can apply for merchant rates to drop your transaction fee to $2.5%

With a merchant account you will pay anywhere from 2.1% to 2.9% and $0.23 to $0.30 per transaction plus your monthly fee is around $15 to $30 per month. Some merchant accounts have set up fees.

It takes 60 days before you can get your debit card with PayPal and when you do, dont use it for regular transactions, only to withdraw your cash and deposit it into your bank. you'll get charged $1.00 per transaction

Quickbooks has a 60 day trial, no set up fee, and free Quickbooks Simple Start 2008 to get you the essentials to get started.

My fees with Quickbooks: $17.99/mo, $0.23 per transaction, 2.4% rate

If you allow your customers to pay online, they will pay when they want to. I used PayPal last year and had a lot of stress and headaches over late payment and non payment issues, not to mention the occasional prick that tried to file a claim within PayPal to get their money back.

With Quickbooks, I bill the customer when it is time. You can email the invoice to the customer directly after billing and late fees are almost non-existent.

Do you really think your customer is going to care that they can view their invoice online? 90% of my customers say "dont worry about the invoice" when I even offer to mail/email it to them.

After switching from PayPal (customer's responsibility to pay online) to Quickbooks (automatic billing) the customers have all responsed to liking it better because they dont have to remember/be reminded and dont have to submit their information on the internet.

I prefer Quickbooks obviously and I'm not shooting down LMS. It may work for some people but you're gonna get some headaches monitoring who has paid on time and who hasnt. Not having to back up data is neat, but not that big of a deal, I can go take a crap while my data is being backed up and if you are "fumbling" with CDs (floppys are obsolete these days by the way) you might need to get checked for parkinsons.

If your hard drive crashes, get recovery software, its still cheaper than the rates you'll be paying through PayPal.

So, no, LMS isnt free. It has some good perks for the beginner merchant but Quickbooks is a way more powerful tool and gives you control that you should have as a business owner.

Dont forget to get your customers to sign a payment agreement form (not a contract but a form covering payment conditions) because if they screw you over you will need that form to forward that payment to a collections company. Do this whether you go through LMS, Quickbooks, checks, cash, whatever. It'll save you some money.

Hope this helps. In the end, do whats best for your business. Quickbooks and LMS both have free trials, take advantage of those and figure out what works best for you.
  9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've been using groundskeeper pro since 2003, and love it and it's easy to use.
    they have a free trial too,
  10. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Not to hijack this thread but, you really like GKpro?? I'm using the free trail now and I don't think it's very user friendly.