1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billing... weekly? monthly?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bloomfield Landscapes, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Bloomfield Landscapes

Bloomfield Landscapes LawnSite Member

Hoping some of you might have some advice on the best way to bill. Every time you service the yard? Every month? If you bill the client monthly does the amount change every month? Some months you may be at the property 4 times, some months 5, just depending on the length of each month. Any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Monthly bi yearly Pre paid
  3. mbaker422

mbaker422 LawnSite Member

I find it saves time billing monthly. Especially if it is a customer that wants too sit around and talk for half an hour when you get done.
  4. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I set up QuickBooks to invoice monthly.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

monthly or quarterly. Depends on clients. I have a couple that i bill every 2 months or so. a lot of my clients prepay.
  6. Bloomfield Landscapes

Bloomfield Landscapes LawnSite Member

If you bill monthly are you only billing for 4 weeks? I guess it's throwing me off that months are not exactly 4 weeks long. Some months we might cut 4 times and others 5, do you adjust the price every month?
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We get paid 12 months a year(like there are 13 right). We add up our average mows per year 40 + fert+ shrubs+ what ever. then / 12 = monthly payment. IF they cancel they are liable for all work done to that point. thus if you have 4 weeks or 5 it is still the same. work harder for the same pay from march to nov and dec jan feb hardly work. (same pay)
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We also bill monthly and depending on the month some clients get billed for 4-weeks of service and other months they get billed for 5-weeks of service just depends on the month. Some people charge a flat monthly fee but I charge based on the actual cut weeks.
  9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I bill monthly in the middle of the service month.
  10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

bills go out the first of each month for the previous month, due date is the 15th