Billing when Customer Not Home

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AssuredServicesCo, Dec 17, 2005.

1. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

I accept Visa, MC, AMEX, Cash and Checks (checks from regular customers only). I was wondering how any other irrigators handle billing options when repairs are made when the customer is not home. Thanks for the input.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We always mail the bill.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If it is a "regular" customer, I will leave a bill if they aren't home. If I don't know them, or if we have a "history", then they better be there or all I'm going to bill is a service call for the no-show. I take checks, I like cash. If the work being done is a spring turn on or winterization, then if they can't be there, they can mail the check in advance or leave it for me when I call the day before to tell them I will be there.
    Rule #1: Bryan gets paid.
    Rule #2: Yes, I'm a very small contractor if you don't like Rule #1, then find another irrigator. It will cost you more money, but you can have "time".

Last place I worked for someone else, they replaced me with two techs and a work order crew the following spring. That would be 4 people total. I do the routine maint. cheap. I charge what I can for everything else and do it efficiently enough to make my service a bargain. Mail the bill? Wait 30 days? If you were the HVAC or Plumber, would they forget to be there and not pay you? Our biggest problem in this industry is we kill ourselves. And when we aren't beating each other up, some fly by night is doing it like a side job because "it ain't rocket science, lady. we can replace it all for............"

Ouch, I turned this into a rant. sorry.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In case there is some hassle over leaving bills in a mailbox (technically a no-no) you can use door-hanger envelopes to leave a bill in.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

And the Top Ten reasons not to piss Bryan off.... (drumroll please).....

10. Bryan gets paid.
    9. Bryan gets paid.
    8. Bryan gets paid.
    7. Bryan gets paid.
    6. Bryan gets paid.
    5. Bryan gets paid.
    4. Bryan gets paid.
    3. Bryan gets paid.
    2. Bryan gets paid.
    1. Bryan gets paid.

LOL... just poking some fun. :blob1:

6. bicmudpuppy

Spoken like the guy who can make sure somebody DOESN'T get paid instead of the guy collecting the check:gunsfirin

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Mail it if they're a regular. Collect on service or pre-paid if you can't be there.

8. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

We use to except visa & master card ,but then we would have to charge a little higher because it was about 4% for each charge that they would bill me for and the customers didnt like it so we stopped. plus it was a huge hassle.

we tell them to leave a check for the amount . or leave a bill and give them a week grace period. if not paid in a week charge them a penalty or put a lean on there house.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... I just can't understand why someone would consider NOT doing it the way the customer wants. You bid a job on the specs then provide the work that was bid on. There's $5k+ being held up on one job right now because things weren't done right.

10. bicmudpuppy

I can honestly say I've never had a check held for a legit reason. I did have to fight tooth and nail for 15K from a very large contractor one time. I'll never work for him again. Sad thing is, that is exactly what most small contractors who work for him say. I just can't believe there is always another idiot (and yes that means I was one too) waiting in line to get shafted.