Billing your clients

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rescue, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Rescue

Rescue LawnSite Member

Hey guys I just started a small Landscaping business I have worked for a landscaping business in the past for a long time, and was wandering how you guys bill your clients weekly, monthly, etc... I just had my first few yards and am leaning toward monthly to make it a little more organized, by the way this site is awesome for a new guy in the business.:confused:

2. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

i would do monthly billing

3. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

for mowing i wouold do monthly
    other jobs i usally just get the check from them when im done with the work that day

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Monthly and some are pay per cut,try some software program it will make your life so easy.

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

monthly here but its based on SEASONAL price, i do not price on a per mow basis

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I put it to my customers nicely as I can, I don't mind cutting the grass / doing the work before I get paid, but once the work is done, payment is due please.

Bluntly speaking, however:
    My policy is No check, no cut. Specifically, I get paid for the last cut or I don't show up for the next one. When someone doesn't pay, there is nothing I can do that ultimately guarantees payment, so all I want to be out of with someone like that is one cut.

Just wondering, what would I do as a monthly guy when I don't get paid?
    Take them to court, and how many cuts am I out of now, 3 or 4?
    And who pays for that, do I spend time in court for free?
    And who pays the court cost? I do, cash upfront... I see court clerks are not stupid.
    And what if they still don't pay?
    Garnish their wages? What if they have no job?
    Seize property? What if they own nothing of much value? All this costs more, too.
    And who pays for all this extra time involved collecting?

No sir, I get paid per cut.

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

So if they dont pay u dont cut? Arent you losing money? I mean some people are too busy to have to pay every week. I bill at the end of the month for mowing accounts. Of course any other 1 time job I send a bill out. At the end of the month I sit down bill my customers. Contracts of course are easy to bill, weekly I just have a check list and I count the number of checks which means that's when I cut the yard. Times it by the price per cut, and the same for biweekly. I have 95 accounts, only takes me an hour to do this and my wife stuffs the envelopes and send them to the post office. Then I just wait for the checks to roll in. You really have to build a trust between you and your customers. Sure some are not gonna pay, and yes it is a waste to go to court. But at the end of the year, you can right off the money from where people didnt pay. When they dont pay take them off the list, and try sending a few letters, once you get your money dont go back. I dont have to worry about my money because many of my customers have been with me for over 5 years. So I have a solid customer base. Now when I started out, dont get me wrong I had to go thru some bad apples before finding good customers. If a customers pays each week what do they do ?? Leave a check out for you every week??? What if they forget??? So u dont cut it and the next week the yard is longer and you are mowing it for the weekly price??? I charge more for biweekly accounts for a reason. That's just how I do things, but everybody is different, GOOD LUCK

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seasonal contracts,first monthly service charge due after signing of contract, before service starts .

9. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

I get paid as I go....I leave an invoice on the door after each cut and they send me a check, or they are there to hand me a check, or they leave it somewhere on the pack porch if they are not home.

That will all change if/when I start hiring help. Then It will be monthly billing I think.

10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

you go to the police station and report CRIMINAL THEFT, THEFT BY DECEPTION, and dont worry about civil court. let them be drug into criminal court, big difference.