1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billing your customers...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LAJack, Jul 27, 2007.

1. LAJack

LAJack LawnSite Member

I recently started a mowing business and have been slowly building my customer list. One thing that is getting hard to manage is: who to bill, for what, and how often. I need a system here.

I saw the thread about GroundsKeeper, but that's too much for me. I want something simple and preferably something that I can easily email my bills with.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Quickbooks pro 2006. Not the absolute best system out there for the green industry but works good for me for now.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Gopher Basic Edition. It is 99 bucks for the program. I like it, and use it for all of my billing, etc.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm using Quickbooks Pro right now and it has really helped me out alot. Began using it in the beginning of the season and getting it all set up was a pain but this program really has no limits as to what it can do. You can e-mail invoices, estimates and such from the program and also manage all of your customers. As for routes and what not that is still up to you to create. Great program IMO
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Yet another vote for Quickbooks!
  6. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying out gopher now for free to see if I like it. How do you usually bill? Do you leave an invoice for every visit or do you mail at the end of the month? I guess it depends on the sevice agreement, right??
  7. Kut N Edge

Kut N Edge LawnSite Member

Is Quickbooks free?
  8. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

NO, but you get what you pay for.
  9. LAJack

LAJack LawnSite Member

You know, I really don't want to go down the quickbooks path -- I don't want to have to learn accounting. I'll engage an accountant for the tax part of it. I just want an easy way to send known bills over and over without a lot of fuss. For the person who asked how often I bill: I only bill at month-end.

The entry level quickbooks is at least $99. Sounds like gopher is the same. Any cheaper options??