billing

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by John P., Jul 31, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I did work for a guy a while back and billed him shortly after the work was done. It has been over a month and still have not received the money for the job. should is send him another bill labeled 2nd notice or any ideas on how to go about getting money for the job.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Our records indicate that your payment for work performed on --/--/-- is now past due. Please remit payment as soon as possible. Any and all payments that are over x days overdue are subject to a $xx.00 late fee. Please make checks payable to ........... Your consideration and cooperation in this matter are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Runner, great idea, i could really use that thanks

4. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

excellently worded runner ... c

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

how about this

Dear Scum bag

Pay your bill or I will come back and take the money out of your hide with my very old and over worked boots.

See you or the payment soon!

6. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

i wish i could say that but the guy has money and he always gives me work its jut this one time he has been late im not sure if he is out of town or just plan forgot so i wanna say somthing but also be suttle

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're always getting work from him then you knopw him well enough. Just go see him and shooot the breeze a bit with him. Ask if he's been pretty busy, and so forth (small talk). When getting ready to leave, yo turn and say. "Oh, by the way, I still have an invoice in accounts recievable from you. can we clear that up real quick?"

8. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Touche! (sp)?

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! I've thought of this funny and seemingly effective method but NO don't do it because you will NOT get paid (I tried it once).

The best I have found is a 30-60-90 day thing works well with regular customers and that is to send a 2nd notice that is very matter of fact, you can put 'overdue' on it OR in my case I put 'prompt payment voids late fee' then you can go from there (3rd notice in ~60 days WITH a late fee) but in your case I think the 2nd notice should do it.

And just be matter of fact, no extra add-ons even if you're mad, what I do is keep 2nd notices pre-printed so I can fill out and send without having to make them up and be tempted to get nasty (don't do it, lol).