Billing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IrishHank, May 10, 2001.

1. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

I have been in the business for years, but I have decided to venture out on my own. I am located in Central Florida, where we provide year round services. Most of my accounts will be cut weekely, but I am finding that some months I will do 5 cuts, and the next only 4 cuts. What is a good method of billing, so that it is fair to both parties. Second, should I be billing after the 1st cut or at the end of each month? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search (look toward the top right of the screen). Plenty of great discussions on this subject already here. Good luck.

3. IrishHank

New to the Game, Thanks for the info. I found lots of good ideas that I can incorporate into my business plan. Much Appreciated...

4. Hello Everybody:

I had the same problem when I started & it was aggervating as Crap!

I finally just gave them a Flat Monthly fee & it really helped out a lot. It saved me a lotsa time, I never liked the Bookkeeping end of the Biz so I took every short cut possible!:D

I sent them bill & it stated that I mowed, hedged, edged, trimmed, weeded & blowed off all concrete surfaces at so & so address. Then I had my monthly fee below.

All my work that I mowed, hedged, edged, trimmed, weeded & blowed off all concrete surfaces was a flat monthly fee & all other work was done on a jobber basis, billed extra & this was included along with my monthly bill.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I added up the weekly visits...for example May to Middle of October...Say that is 24 times in the 5.5 months...24 x weekly rate divided by 6 months ... 6 equal payments...(spring cleanup is extra in April) in our contract it is stated that invoices will be sent out at the start of each particular maintenance month...this gives me a head start on some slow payers...

6. IrishHank

Kris,

Do you make your accounts sign a 6 month agreement? Or do you keep them on a 30 day policy...If anyone else has suggestions on whether or not customers should sign a annual contract let me know! Is a discount of say 10% in order if a 1 yr is signed?

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Hank ..so far I only have one customer that has asked that i put a 30 day out in for them .... I will add it to the contract next year to give myself a out also.

8. IrishHank

Is a discount of say 10% worth it for a customer who will commit to a year's worth of maintenance? Or is good work at a fair price enough to keep them coming back? If there is not a high rate of turnaround on the customer base than the 10% will only be money out of my pocket...right!

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

All my customers sign a season contract. I only give discounts for pre-pays. We mow 28 wks a year so I simply add all charges up and divide by 8 (I bill March - October). I do have a few customers that want to be billed each month for the services provided. This is a pain separating everything at billing time. Then it seems each month I get a customer calling wondering why last month they paid XXXXX amount & this month its different. I discourage this billing to my customers but there are a few that I still do that for. I also have started billing half my accounts on the 1st of the month and the other half on the 15th. This has helped with the steady cash flow.

10. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I give them a 10% discount if they pre-pay for the season, but for a commitment, they just get quality service:)