1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnBoy89, May 30, 2006.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

If I make my own bills, what information do I need to have on them? Name, address, phone number.....What I am going to do it make a bill with categories that I'm just going to fill in at the job site. what categories do I need? (amount, date, etc.???) If you guys have any samples that you made I would be glad to look at them I remember some guy posted a bunch of them on here that were perfect for us to use but I can't find it anymore. Thanks alot guys.
  2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i remember i hired a jack hammer once,which came to about $80 when i received to invoice i was really impressed with the details of what went into the hire sharping fee,service fee etc.i
    use this as a guide for my invoices.for example if i have hedging job my invoice will have business letterhead with insurance details hourly rate sharpening fee service fee ,disposal fee, total price. this way the customer can see exactly where there money has gone

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What you did, or gave them. How much they owe you for it. where to send the money. when it needs to be there by.
  4. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

here is what you should include. your company info should always come first IE your logo at the top or do the bill on a letterhead. you will need the customers name and address and service address if different. you will need the billing date, service date and the terms and/or due date. IE net 30, 1%10 net 30....you will need a break down of your services like garth stated. have a subtotal field and a total to show where tax is added. if you are doing commercial properties you will need a field for the PO#. and here are two tips.
    if you are mailing them out design a template so that the customer address and the return address are aligned with a windowed envolope. and leave a place at the bottom for comments and upsells.
  5. GodsMan

GodsMan LawnSite Member

Everything that the others has said is very good info. However, I have found it easier for me to outsource the billing aspect of our service. After working from 6:30 A.M to 7:30 P.M. I am physically and emotionally to exhausted to be a good husband and do all the paperwork. Now I have the time to focus on growing the business and family. My service bills all my clients on the 20th every month, picks up the checks on every Tuesday and Thursday, Deposits checks on Wednesday and Friday, Prints out an Accounts recievables report every 10th of the month and calls every client that has not payed. And the best part is that I only pay a small set fee once a month. :clapping: Makes my life a whole lot easier. Anyhow, just something to consider if you have an apathy for paperwork!