1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by treyjdt, Sep 3, 2008.

1. treyjdt

treyjdt LawnSite Member

how do you figure pricing?

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Multiply by 3 and subtract the square root of 96........

Good luck getting a serious reply to such a vague question.
  3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

42cuts per year x price per cut, then divide it by 12 months and then you have your monthly amount due. and i Bill one month forward to cut down on the dead beat losses.
  4. TCS Landscaping

TCS Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

20$ per square foot.
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Daily cost of fuel per gallon X 10.
  6. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Way to help a new guy folks - check your local area prices and be competitive. Around here most lawns (7000 sq ft or so) go for 35 / cut then up from there. Check your area may be more or less.

you may have already done this but, do a search to see if the subjects been covered - save you some smarta** responses.

I don't bill the entire year either just the cutting months - may consider billing yearly later.
  7. treyjdt

treyjdt LawnSite Member

thanks to all who responded seriously... i have checked most other landscaping co in area they get min 40 for 7000sf. they don't even bag or pick up anything. what does your price include mow blow edge trim-- thanks
  8. westsweeper4

westsweeper4 LawnSite Member
    from 45069

if you already checked with other landscaping companies in your area why are you coming here to get help? they are the ones who are going to be able to give you the best answers to your questions. unless of course you want opinions from the entire country.
  9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Come to think of it, the question is more complex than it seems. Reality is everyone I call my competition figures their pricing based on their own valid motivations, justifications and/or expenses. I have been to many tender openings where we thought we priced competively, and got blown out of the water...and been to some where I literally threw up when I realized how much I left on the table. Most people price a job to make money, others have different motives, including keeping valuable equipment and employees busy in the offseason. and in climates where there is a snow business, some use groundskeeping as the loss leader to secure the lurative snow contracts. There's no such thing as a going rate anymore, as the apples we sometimes try to compare to determine a price aren't always the same.

Heres an example of a haulage contract I thought was whored... until I found out why he bid so low. The job calls for a triaxle to haul material 2 hours away. The going rate is anywhere from 75.00 to 85.00 per hour per truck. You are expected to haul 2 loads a day from point A to point B (a four hour round trip). The company that won the bid, submitted pricing at 50.00 per hour. After scratching my head for two days wondering why and how he could make any money at that rate, I learned he was treating that contract as a backload from another contract he already had in place to haul material from point B to point A, and he would have been empty on his return anyways. Now his new backload contract (at half rate) covers his expenses for the day, and the first contract is all profit.

Its these types of angles that prohibit any kind of valid answer from me, other than, know your costs, and motivations, and take it from there to figure out your price. Good luck, and sorry for the original smata$$ remark.
  10. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Like I said - pricing is going to be different in different areas - cost of living and such.

My mow and go deals are just mow, trim, blow. Bagging is extra because it takes more time and you have to get rid of it somehow - pick up? i pick up basic debris (paper and such) before I cut - toys, if I see 'em I'll move 'em.