1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billing ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fblandscape, Dec 23, 2002.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have a question in regards to billing. I have done work for a bunch of people who have their own "small" businesses. When I work for these people at their houses, they ask me to write the bill up for their company, and not for them. What are the legal ramifications of doing this on my end?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For you, really nothing. For them, might be a lot if they are ever audited by the IRS, depending on the amount of money involved.

A $5000 yearly lawn mowing "expense" for a company that is on the 12th floor of an office building would probably p*** off an auditor and raise some serious red flags for even a larger audit.

Better consult your accountant or attorney about this situation you come across occasionally.
  3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

"Never bite the hand that feeds you" with regards... devildog
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Amen...PYA too
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would not worry about it, but they might. I mow for a real estate managment firm. I mow their personal property and send the bill to his business. With what money they pay me with is none of my concern, just as long as I am paid.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of my clients have a business that we service as well as their home. I often suggest to put both properties on one bill, and send it to their business address. I see their eyes light up, and they say yes.
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I do the same thing.
  8. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Question.... Do you mow your own lawn with your business equipment or do you have separate equipment for your personal use? If you use business equipment, do you charge yourself or deduct a portion of of your expenses? What about labor.. do your hired help mow your lawn? Boy this opens some interesting questions on what is ethical doesn't it?
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've had that happen a few times. I do everything by the book....I hide no income, pay sales tax on more than I should...blah blah blah, etc.....but....From whatever checking account a customer pays me from, is frankly, none of my darn business. If he wants to play games with his books thats HIS business...period
  10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a number of accounts for residential work that are owned by businesses. I make sure that the money the give me is accounted for in my business account. If the get audited, there is now a paper trail of where their money went, leading right to you.