1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txlawnking, Jun 1, 2004.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you guys help me? Here's the scene, I'm beat'n the street cold calling in one of the nicest neighborhoods in my area. I get one guy to agree to a complete mow, trim &edge for$65. Now is when I should have seen the writing on the wall, as he informs me that he already has an LCO doing it for $45. I explain that I will do a better job for my qoute( like no skid marks, no holidays and a better trim around the beds etc.) and the customer gladly agrees, sez he's not pleased with their quality. Here's where I think I screwed myself, Prospect sez " can you bill me?" I agree. Sure nuf I do a jam up job ( took before and after pix w/ my digital) and call the guy the following afternoon to check up and make sure he's pleased. He sez " yeah you did a great job BUT, I think I will just stay with my old LCO, I say "that's fine I under stand (politely) and asked him to mail me the check within 7 days andI ain't got yet even after an equally polite follow up call. Sorry this is a long post, but what can I do to collect from the guy? I just starting out and I havent had the coin to see an attorney and get incorporated, let alone pursue a dead beat. Have any of you had a simmilar experience or solution? I will listen too all!!
  2. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

i would go to his house and ask for a check right there
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go over there too. Dont leave with out a cheque.
  4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to the world of crappa customers
  5. txlawnking

On the same note, today I got a call from one of my flyers, so I go to give a bid. Since I've been gyped I have a new policy called "No billing until I've had you as a customer for a year" ( I don't know if this is a good idea or not I'd appreceiate input) Anyway, I checked out the place he likes the price, then sez, "So you'll bill me, right?"This is after he tell's me that he's trying to sell the house and I see the 18 wheeler in the driveway. And I say " I'm sorry sir I don't accept billing on new accounts" the guy get angry and sez YOU CAN JUST LEAVE THEN!! and I may as well just do it myself . I think I saved myself from another ripoff . Or do Ya'll have another idea ( I do need work).
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

and if he does not give it to you tell him that you will put a lean on his house.

good luck!
  7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya its easy...Its called a contract.

My contracts are of no length/term, but says in bold "I so 'n so agree to pay on ALL work preformed on this property....."

8. txlawnking

Sounds like a plan. Trevor, I am aware of the purpose of a contract. I just haven't consulted with legal counsel yet to get the wording right yet, but I am working on it.
  9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats your email address? When i get home later i will shoot it to ya. Mine is nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I would stop at each of his neighbours and ask if you can quote their lawn. After a few minutes ask them if they know the guy you cut and if they have seen him lately just casually mention that you also cut his lawn but he owes you some money. Word will get back to him quick.