1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billing ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matts Mowing, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

Had a billing question for you all.... I have been doing a cleanup for an elderly apartment complex for the past few years. Years ago I charged $400 and it took me 15 hours solo. I have upgraded equipment over the years and it now takes me 7-8 hours.
    Earlier this year they asked me to trim every two weeks and they will handle the mowing. I trim - blow every two weeks for $100 ( takes me 80 minutes solo). A few weeks ago their mower was in the shop and I mowed - trim - blow for $200. They called this week and requested a fall cleanup on the property. I arrived and they also requested to go ahead and mow - trim, etc... I performed the cleanup, mowed and everything in 8.5 hours. The managers have never questioned me on a bill. They are great people and love my work.

Now the question is......Should I charge $400 for the cleanup and another $200 for the mowing and trimming? I always work solo and was thinking of giving them a little break and only charge $500 or less. $400 for 8 hours solo is good money and I do not want to go overboard and possible ruin a good thing. Really torn on this one, all advice is appreciated.

P.S. Amazing how quick things go with the RedMax 7001 and Bobcat ZTR !!! :p
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was sorry to see you had no responces, but it's early. I would bill with 2 invoices. one for mowing and one for cleanup. Charge a fair market value. You sound like some one that does a little extra from time to time. If that's the case, mow is the time to make up for it and feel good about it. If they are in love with you as you said then they will probably smile when they hand over the check.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, I'm like you, give people a break once in a while, who cares, you'll make the money up later on anyways

If you cleaned up while mowing, then that's the same process to me.
  4. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Matt's Mowing,

I would give them a break. $500.00 is still good mony for a solo guy. Note it on the bill you cute them a deal. Old people always like that. Maybe next year they will give you more work.
  5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

If you give them a break, be sure you are showing it on the invoice as a seasonal "prefered customer discount" or something of that nature. If they don’t know your giving them a break, they will just think you work cheap and expect that kind of pricing all the time.
  6. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Deals can be a touchy subject. if i give a deal, its usually not a dollar amount but a small service that is easy, inexpensive(to me), and noticeable. like snipping off a dead limb or something thats over the driveway. and just put "no charge" on the bill. they love that!